Underrated Artists: One-Hit-Wonder Artists With 1 Million Or Less Monthly Listeners and Their Other Songs You Should Listen To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Various artists have hit their one-hit wonder phases from TikTok trends popularizing their songs. This is a great tactic for talented artists to reach their potential and get well-deserved listeners, but very few people stop and explore their other songs.

During the initial quarantine period in the spring of 2020, “FRIENDS” was a commonly played song on TikTok, playing in the background of sentimental graduation and growing up posts. This band composed of 5 young men falls under the pop rock genre. If you liked “FRIENDS”, other notable songs are “Jane”, “10 SPEED”, “I Feel Good”, “CHA”, “Martha’s Vineyard Biker Gang”, “Sunny Boy’s Lament”, “Flowers”, and “Connect 5”. Additionally, Sawyer Nunes, one of the men in the band, creates his own individual music which is just as addictive to listen to.

Allie X’s song “Bitch” is another trendy TikTok song. The Canadian pop artist, Alexandra Ashley Hughes, has a unique and bold sense of fashion style that matches her music energy. Other songs I would recommend of hers’ are “Devil I Know”, “Paper Love”, “Downtown”, “Girl of The Year”, “Hello”, and “All the Rage”.

Will Paquin’s song “Chandelier” has been a song used on TikTok for monthly, aesthetic photo dumps. The song has over 45 million listens but his other songs do not get nearly as many… and they should! Although he only has a few songs, “21” and “Satellite” are definitely worth listening to.

Ryn Weaver’s song “Pierre”, about a quiet lover who can play the bass, is a song that is easy to jump around and dance to and is a commonly heard song on TikTok. Other freeing music that might just make you want to hold a hairbrush microphone and leap around your room or drive with the windows down are the songs “OctaHate”, “Runaway”, “Promises”, and “Here Is Home”.

Cookiee Kawaii is known for her song “Vibe”. It is a catchy, confidence booster of a song. If you like this song and want other songs similar to it, I would recommend “Ride On Top”, “Tomorrow”, “DISCO”, “H@ters Anonymous”, “WERK!”, and “Start Over Again”. If you are looking for more laid back, tranquil songs by this artist, jtbs and Cookiee Kawii did a collaboration on an EP called Satori.

“One More Weekend” by Maude Latour has also appeared in many videos on TikTok. The song reminisces about a lover that she wishes she could spend just a little more time with– one more weekend, to be exact. She has a lot of breakup-related songs. A few songs of hers that I would recommend are “Furniture”, “Clean”, “Ride My Bike”, “Starsick”, “Block Your Number” and “Superfruit”.

Thomas Headon is another fan favorite on TikTok. He is well known for his song, “How Do I Know?”. Other suggested songs are “UrbanAngel1999”, “Bored”, “Loving You, Nobody Has To Know”, “Clean Me Up”, “Butterflies”, and “I’m Finally Alone”.

Next time you find a TikTok song stuck in your head or catchy, try to peruse through the artist’s discography. You might just find your new favorite song or artist! There are so many artists waiting to be found, suffocated by the trendy artists that society adores, that are true diamonds in the rough.