Style

Trendiest Tattoos That Will Never Let You Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

The one thing life guarantees us is that we will never be prepared for what it throws at us. The changing days turned weeks turned months bring new experiences and changes that most people never see coming. This anxiety-inducing occurrence is nice to be avoided (when we can control it) with a tiny reminder of permanence. That is where tattoos come in!

If Phoebe Buffet from Friends can get a tattoo of the entire world, even though it was just a freckle, anyone can get one. Now, the random and possibly funny at the time (??) tattoo of “No Ragrets” across your chest may be exciting at the moment, but will most definitely not be fun to explain to your kids in the future. Enough of the ramblings, now that you’re still reading, let’s get on to the fun part: What should your tattoo be??

Arrows!

Recently, people have been jumping on this bandwagon, with meaningful words laced within the arrow or a date that means something to the wearer. There are also some iconic designs involving arrows that call out the inner hippie or traveler within us all. A feather is another popular choice of this design.

Meaningful Words

Sometimes it is nice to have a tiny reminder of a peaceful time in your life, or maybe even of something that your grandparents used to say when you were younger. Whatever the reason, a five to seven word quote is a nice addition whether it be on the side of your wrist/forearm or underneath your armpit down the side of your chest.

For the Outdoors

These trends are for the inner traveler in all of us. A very minimalist design of the mountains has been popular on the inside of the wrist as well as coordinates of your favorite getaways on the back right beneath the shoulder. Birds have also been a common feature (possibly popularized by Tris from the Divergent book series) and have commonly been seen behind the ear.

Simplistic

Whether it be matching tattoos with a sibling of the sun and the moon or a single word on the inside of the wrist, tiny can have big meanings. This is also good for the newbie to tattoos, who may be scared of their encounter with the needle.

Nature Chick

If you’re really feeling adventurous, another trend that has grown in popularity is a flower. What makes it adventurous you ask?  The location! More people have been getting a simple version of a flower they hold dear to their heart right between their breasts (physically near to their heart). This one is mainly for the ladies, but guys, feel free to hop on the trend.

Rings, rings and more rings!

Very popular on social media are hands adorned with rings of all shapes and sizes that are actually tattoos. Some couples do it in place of a wedding band, while others among the teenage years do it to embrace their inner style icon.

A couple tips to keep in mind when getting a tattoo:

• The ring trend, (even tattoos on the feet), are very common and fashionable … but do tend to fade over time (because of all the activity these two areas get daily).

• Colored tattoos also fade over time (sadly), which is why we see more montoned trends so money spent on the tattoo doesn’t go to waste!

And hey! If you aren’t sure whether or not a tattoo is right for you, you can always look towards henna or semi-permanent tattoos which disappear within weeks or months. Whether spontaneous or a well thought-out design, the most important thing is to make sure that you love what you choose. Start (th)inking today!!

i like food
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette