This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

The days are longer, the air is warmer, and the grass is getting greener. Spring is upon us! I feel like spring is the most overlooked season as people rush to get to summer. I don’t necessarily have a favorite season; rather, I like to focus on the small things that are unique to each season. Here are the 7 things you should be looking forward to this spring!

Fresh smells. After long winters of snow and rain, I feel like the air smells damp. On the first couple of warm days in March or April, the air freshens. 

Airing out your room. To go along with enjoying the spring freshness, there is no better feeling than ripping open your windows and letting the breeze rejuvenate the energy in a room.

Longer days. The darkness of winter is suffocating, but once spring comes, longer and brighter evenings are guaranteed.

New plant life. Seeing trees get their buds and suddenly one day go into full bloom is the most magical experience. It makes you realize the complexity and elegance of nature.

Baby animals (or any animal for that matter). With spring comes an awakening of all the little forest critters and the births of their babies. Birdsongs — nature’s music — reemerges. Additionally, it is so nice to see your own pets enjoying their newfound freedom in the nicer weather. 

Rain. While rain seems like the exact opposite of enjoyable, it is actually really nice to experience a warm afternoon rain. The rain brings a cozy vibe that cannot be matched.

Outdoor activities. Obviously, with the social distancing restrictions, it has been difficult to have fun with friends safely. With warmer weather, we can hang out outside, go for hikes, and do a plethora of other activities. 

Overall, spring brings freedom and much-needed change from the long dreary winter. Find what you love about spring and rather than rushing to summer, I encourage you to embrace and cherish spring.