Taylor Swift’s new album “Lover” Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

This summer has been a powerful time for music with Lizzo straight killing the game and Chance the Rapper finally streaming Acid Rap and dropping The Big Day. Taylor Swift blessing us with Lover in the last week of freedom before school gave me hope for the fall. This is her longest album EVER and I’m so here for it. Her last album Delicate was her revenge album that revealed some signs of her vulnerability and love, but Lover focuses on this and her relationship with Joe Alwyn. Tune in for a review of my favorite new Taylor songs. 

I Forgot That You Existed

My first impression: Damn, okay. Go OFF Taylor. The most empowering moment is when you realize you’re no longer thinking about an ex. Real talk this song is my current mood in regards to my love life, so I needed this. When she says “it’s not love, it’s not hate, it’s indifference,” I might have screamed YES. maybe. The music itself is so playful and fun too, making it the perfect start to the album.

Lover

This song gives me strong 80s at a wedding vibes when the bands playing and Taylor’s just swaying to the music. You can also hear how happy she is while singing this song, making it a fun listen. This is one of my favorite songs from the album because it’s so different from what she normally sings.

The Man

So this song is IMPORTANT. She’s calling out the double standards and the things she wouldn’t have to deal with if she was a man. A lot of the song focuses on her reputation and the reality of if she was a man people wouldn’t judge her on her love life. Taylor hasn’t produced a lot of songs about feminism, so I am pumped that she’s starting.

I Think He Knows

If I had to choose, I think this is my favorite song from the album. “He got my heart beat skipping down 16th avenue,” ugh LOVE. Everytime I hear that lyric, I can’t help but sing along. The song is so catchy and has all around fun energy. Give this one a special listen.   

Paper Rings

This song is so fun! The beat is so energetic and uplifting; I love it. She’s having so much fun singing this. It’s like you can hear the literal joy she’s feeling. It also shows how much she loves Joe which makes my heart so happy. 

Cornelia Street

This song is about living in New York City (the greatest city in the world. trademark.). “I hope I never lose you I hope it never ends.” These lyrics make me think about my best friend from home (probably supposed to be a romantic song but I love my friends. Deal with it) and how I hope will always be in each others lives. She also used to live down the street from the apartment Taylor is singing about, so randomly relatable. 

London Boy

This song opens with a British man speaking. Need I say more? I love how her relationship with Joe has been more lowkey in the media, and now she’s like ya the rumors are true and hello I love him. We all love a good British boy. 10/10. 

You Need to Calm Down

I refused to listen to this song when it first dropped but after actually giving it a listen, I love it. The song is criticizing the Trump administration (cause like Trump needs to get off Twitter). I love that Taylor is getting political in her music. Power to her.  

ME!

No lie it took me a hot minute to like and appreciate this song. Taylor also removed the line where she says “hey kids spelling is fun!” which made it immediately better. It has so much fun energy and when you listen to it, it’s like yeah okay Taylor, you’re right, I’m awesome.

Daylight

This song is the perfect song to end her latest album. It encapsulates her love for Joe and her new beginnings!! I think it shows hope and her own growth. Revenge album no more; LOVE(r). 

It feels like this album was so fun for Taylor to write and sing, and the joy she has from being in love shines through her songs. I had such high expectations for this album and honestly they were fulfilled. SO if you haven’t already, go listen to Lover (bonus: the album cover is pink and so freaking pretty).

Meghan Lyons

Lafayette '22

Currently working on my twitter game
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette