This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

As a 19-year-old Lafayette student, I have been stuck in my childhood bedroom for the last seven months. I never expected that I would ever be home for this amount of time ever again. However, now for the foreseeable future, I will be studying and living in my childhood bedroom. Maybe you are like me and still have room decor from when you decided to do a room makeover at age eight. Well, at the end of this summer, I decided that some updates were necessary. Here are some ideas on how to make your room a little cozier. Best of all, some of these products will be perfect for when we are finally allowed back on campus.

Wall paint

Circa 2009 I thought it would be a great idea to paint my room a greenish turquoise. Needless to say, that color did not age well and is not the most attractive Zoom background. After the first week of school, I decided to go to my local paint store and painted my room in a day. Not only was it a fun project but it immediately made my room feel more grown-up and fresh. 

I based my paint on the color of the carpeting and size of my room, so take that into consideration when you choose your color.

A reading light

As  a college student, I have a ton of reading to do. Sometimes sitting at a desk is too uncomfortable and I end up on my bed. Having a good light is essential so that you do not strain your eyes. I bought mine at Ikea. It came with a clamp that attaches to my bed and a switch on the light so I do not have to get out of bed to turn it off.

Twinkle lights

Speaking of lights … twinkle lights are a must-have. It makes a room so much cozier especially at night. It creates the perfect mood for watching a movie or finishing up your studying. I found mine on Amazon and they almost cover my entire room. They will look great in a dorm room as well.

A rug

An area rug is perfect for any room. I have a purple carpeted floor that I personally hate. To break up the ugly purple, I got myself an area rug. I got the rug at Ikea and I cannot wait to bring it back to college with me. Last year, I did not have a rug and my feet were always cold when I had to get up in the morning.

Plants

Being stuck at home while college is in session means that I do not have many friends around to hang out with. I have replaced my friends with six beautiful plants that sit on my desk. Not only is it rewarding to keep the plants alive but they spruce up my living environment. I have gotten my plant collection including succulents, cacti, and a tree that I found at Walmart, CVS, Ikea, and other local stores.

I hope this gives you some motivation to make the best of remote learning. While our situation is undesirable I have chosen to embrace it. Remember what Olaf said in Frozen 2, “We’re calling this, Controlling what you can when things feel Out of Control.”