This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

After over a year of living in the isolating, anxiety-inducing, and often terrifying world that is COVID-19, I have been reflecting on the great importance of checking in on the status of your mental health regardless of if you’re someone who has, like me, strangely become somewhat accustomed to this new way of life. In doing so, I have compiled a shortlist of things that have allowed for this time to feel a little less scary, lonely, and seemingly never-ending. 

Keep a journal  

I have preached about the process of journaling before, and the benefits apply here as well. For me, there is nothing that allows for a better brief escape from reality and an outlet for one’s thoughts more than journaling. Taking one (or a few) moments each day to jot down your feelings, whether they be positive or negative, allows for you to compartmentalize those feelings. This is beneficial particularly for negative emotions since writing them down allows you to release them from within, place them in an outside location, and leave them there. On the other hand, journaling on days when you are feeling especially happy is also wonderful since it allows you to re-emphasize those positive feelings for yourself and have the option to revisit them at a later time if you are ever in need of a reminder that those feelings and better-than-usual days can and have existed within you. 

Utilize the great outdoors 

During a time in which indoor spaces can place a major health concern, utilizing the outdoors surrounding me has been a blessing for my emotional stability. Especially right now when the temperature is just starting to increase, the birds are chirping, and the greenery is blooming, making an effort to go outside independently or with a friend can serve as a comforting and hopeful activity to engage in when feeling detached from others, or just in need of an escape. Not to mention the vitamin D from the sun and engaging endorphin-boosting activities while outside provides an extra mood-booster. 

Don’t let go of your routine 

Just because there are far fewer options right now to keep ourselves occupied with, that doesn’t mean we should let go of our usual habits and routines. Not only does following a routine and implementing it through a schedule make the days feel a bit more normal, but it also allows us to gain a sense of accomplishment out of being able to physically check off a list of both personal and work-related things we have accomplished, even if it may have only consisted of a few minor activities. Personally, I always make a concerted effort to write down a schedule for myself every single day, something I began pre-COVID. That said, this habit of mine has proven to be even more useful during a time in which it is so easy to feel an intense lack of motivation and direction. Having a visual representation of all the things I’d like to do (even if it is something as small as working out or carving out some time to paint), having these visual schedules has allowed my days during this unstable time to feel far more productive, normal, and rewarding. 

Don’t forget about the people you love 

Lastly, reaching out to the individuals in your life who you love, whether it be a family member or a friend as a source of support is of utmost importance during this time. I often get so lost in my own pandemic-related emotions that I just repress them while forgetting how many other individuals are feeling the exact same way, or in many cases, far worse. Taking advantage of the shared feelings of anxiety, discomfort, and all other emotions individuals are dealing with right now may make you feel more inclined to reach out to the people you love when you need some emotional support. In most cases, these individuals will probably be able to relate closely to what you’re feeling and may be able to talk you through these moments of covid-related upset. 

Junior majoring in anthropology & sociology at Lafayette College. Interests include traveling, singing and music, and the field of counseling psychology.
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College