Rules for Virtual Class That Everyone Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

As we settle into this new normal, all of us students are becoming well-acquainted with online school. I’ve noticed a few new patterns and unspoken rules of virtual classes at our small school. It’s interesting to see how quickly people can create new social structures, even when we’re so physically far apart! This just shows how even though we’re separated, we’re all in this together. 

If you’re wearing headphones, mute yourself when you eat something crunchy.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but we can all hear you chewing. Please, please, mute your mic.

Don’t be too self-conscious to eat, though!

No one is judging or watching you! Trust me. Drink your coffee. Enjoy your bagel. If you’re hungry, eat! (Just do it quietly. Refer to Rule #1.)

Pets are ALWAYS welcome.

Do NOT be embarrassed if an over-friendly animal decides to hop onto the table and stick their nose in your camera during your video call. We all want to see your adorable pet put their tail in your face or your coffee while you’re trying to work.

Identify yourself.

Not everybody has strong WiFi, or a functional camera and/or microphone, and that’s totally okay. However, tell the people on your call who you are, so your peers or professor don’t kick you off the call for Zoom-bombing.

In Zoom, if your professor likes to jump into Breakout Rooms, use Gallery Mode so you know when they join.

That way, when your Spanish professor drops in during a group activity to check up on your progress, you’re not discussing what the profanity in the text you’re reading means. (Based on a true story, folks.) You’ve been warned.

Keep your camera on!

In a Zoom class call, I know I’m much better at paying attention when the camera holds me accountable. When your professor and classmates can see you, it’s much harder to get distracted by petting your cat or cleaning your room. If you’re falling asleep during your lectures, try keeping your camera on, if possible, and see if that helps you focus!

Don’t panic if you have technical difficulties!

We’re in a difficult situation, and computers aren’t always reliable. Sometimes, they glitch, crash, or refuse to connect to WiFi during class just to spite us. Shoot your professor an email and ask a friend to catch you up on what you missed. Deep breaths; it’s going to be okay!

Remember, everyone, this is a time of adjustment. It’s okay to feel tired, overworked, stressed… whatever you are feeling is valid! We only have a few more weeks of classes, and as a community, we can get through this. To everyone reading this, I hope that you are safe and well, and that you’re remembering to take care of your mental and physical health!

Laura Bedser

Lafayette '23

Hey there! I'm Laura, an English Writing and Religious Studies double major at Lafayette College. When I'm not in class or at a club meeting, you can find me writing, reading, enjoying time with friends, or studying in my favorite sun-lit corner of Skillman Library.
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College