This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

On September 13th, fashion’s biggest night was held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. While the Met Gala is typically held on the first Monday in May, the event was postponed due to COVID-19 and fell right during fashion month and directly after a successful New York Fashion Week—meaning the stakes for incredible looks on the red carpet were especially high. The theme of this year’s gala was based on the Costume Institute’s newest exhibition, “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion.”  This allowed for a range of interpretations and I will be going over some of my favorite looks of the evening!

Timothée Chalamet in Haider Ackermann
I’m usually bored by men’s fashion, as many male celebrities will wear a typical suit and tie to any red carpet event. But Timothée’s look is a change of pace which I enjoy! I don’t know how I feel about the Converse though… but hey what’s more American than those sneakers.

Yara Shahidi in Dior
Probably one of my favorite looks of the night. She’s paying homage to Josephine Baker, an American-born French entertainer and civil rights activist. The gloves in combination with the sheer veil and train created such a captivating look.

Billie Eilish in Oscar de la Renta
In this ode to Marilyn Monroe, Billie Eilish wears this beautifully extravagant gown. My one critique is that the color washes her out, but regardless, I love this dress.

Kaia Gerber in Oscar de la Renta
Such a classic look inspired by Bianca Jagger at the Met Gala in 1981. I’m obsessed with the silhouette and top detailing!

​​Kendall Jenner in Givenchy
Another one of my favorite looks! Kendall decided to pay homage to one of Audrey Hepburn’s looks in My Fair Lady. However, It is very reminiscent of her 2017 Met Gala look, (another see-through sequin dress) so it feels a little safe for her.

Emily Blunt in Miu Miu
Emily looks stunning as she references Hedy Lamarr from the 1941 musical Ziegfeld Girl. The sleeves, the dress detailing and THE HEADPIECE, all work phenomenally together.

Barbie Ferreira in Jonathan Simkhai
One of the most interesting looks of the night. Wearing a burlesque-inspired
dress with magnificent detailing and matching hair accessories, Barbie went all out. It’s beautiful and modern while still having a vintage flair.

Anok Yai in Oscar de la Renta and Ana Khouri jewelry
Another homage to Josephine Baker that was beautifully executed.

Lupita Nyong’o in Versace
To me, one of the most American things is denim, so I was very happy to see Lupita embrace that. This dress is just weird enough for the Met and it’s on theme… a perfect combination!

​​Kim Kardashian in Balenciaga

At first, I didn’t like this look but now I can make a great case for it. Kim didn’t show her face, her body, any recognizable features if you will since it was all covered up. But immediately the world knew that it was Kim Kardashian. The silhouette that was created is a silhouette that we are so familiar with in Americanized culture. The influence and effect that she has on the media are what she captured in this look. It was thought-provoking, everyone had an opinion, and that’s art. That’s a Met Gala look.

*IMAGES OF OUTFITS CAN BE FOUND @ HTTPS://DRIVE.GOOGLE.COM/DRIVE/FOLDERS/1IFIM8FSNSLQBVB4HAMZH2ZRSBA-CMMXM?USP=SHARING

Jackie Vargas

Lafayette '24