This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

If you’re a college student, chances are you have heard of Relay for Life. This nationwide event involves entire communities to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

But what exactly does Relay for Life entail? If you are worried about having to run a long race, fear not. Vicki Holcomb, the president of Lafayette’s Relay for Life and a member of the Delta Gamma team, explains Relay for Life as a “big party” for fundraising. She goes into more detail by adding,

A common misconception about Relay for Life is that it’s a 5k or some sort of athletic event. In reality, Relay is just a big party to celebrate everyone’s fundraising efforts. There will be inflatables, a DJ, food from various restaurants, prizes, performances, and speeches! We do encourage teams to have at least one member walking the track at all times (to signify that cancer never sleeps), but the team aspect of the event has more to do with fundraising.

Vicki’s inspiration to become involved with Relay for Life stems from a personal place. When her uncle passed away unexpectedly at age 63, she joined Relay just a few weeks later. She says it was her way to honor him and cope with the loss, as she wasn’t able to attend the funeral because of school. Relay for Life is a way for Vicki to continue the legacies of both her uncle and her grandfather. On what Relay for Life means to her, Vicki says that “It’s really difficult to find someone that doesn’t have a story about how cancer has impacted them or someone they care about. Fundraising for the American Cancer Society gives our campus a way to fight back against this awful disease.”

I also spoke with Krystyna Keller, president of Her Campus Lafayette (!!!) and a member of the Alpha Phi team. In my conversation with Krystyna, she said “cancer has really had an impact on my family and anything I can do to raise money and awareness, I am going to do.” Krystyna tells me that her  team and sorority, Alpha Phi, has many members on the S.M.A.C. (Student Movement Against Cancer) at Lafayette. Krystyna calls Lafayette’s Relay for Life “a good way to rally people around a common fight.”

Lafayette College’s Relay for Life will take place on April 12 from 4:30 to 8:30 PM at the Kirby Sports Center. Currently, the top three fundraising teams are Delta Gamma, Alpha Phi, and Tri Delta! You can follow Relay for Life on Twitter or Facebook for organization updates. Make sure to register for a great cause and a great time!

Grace Pasco

Lafayette '22

laf
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette