This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

While 2020 has been full of changes, disappointments, and challenges, I am thankful for the constant presence of the Lafayette community. When I applied to be an Orientation Leader last spring, I was expecting to come to campus a week early to train with my fellow enthusiastic and outgoing OL’s. While we didn’t get to train together in person, I still felt connected to the Lafayette OL family, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to meet students who are as enthusiastic about Lafayette as me. 

Even though I wish we had Orientation training in person, I still had so much fun meeting and training with the other Orientation Leaders. I am so thankful for the L-Team (the OL Leaders) and Riley Godshall for planning a training session that was still interactive via Zoom. Training was full of laughter, support, and some late night pictionary. Initially I was disappointed when I heard Orientation would be virtual, but now I am feeling thankful for the online connections I got to make, and even more excited to be back together on campus. 

I also am proud of my Orientation Group (shoutout to Cadmus) for showing up and participating despite the awkwardness of meeting people virtually. While not everyone loves ice breakers, especially not on Zoom, I am so thankful that my group was patient and active! We spent time getting to know each other, learning about Lafayette, and discussing whether or not a hotdog is a sandwich (it’s not). The Class of 2024 has been particularly affected by COVID-19, missing out on high school graduations, proms, and their first semester on campus. However, every incoming first-year I interacted with has been extremely kind, open minded, and excited to begin their journey at Lafayette. 

While online Orientation was not ideal, I am still thankful for the fun experience and for the new connections I made. I hope that the first-year students enjoyed their experience as well, and I am excited to continue to plan activities and interact with my group. Finding a community within the Orientation staff has reminded me of why I love Lafayette. I cannot wait to be back on campus again with my Lafayette family! 

Maggie Larsen

Lafayette '23

Econ major at Lafayette College
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College