oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Oscars: Who won what, who wore what, and who said WHAT?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

It’s award season. And better yet, it’s the Oscars.

This award season there have been high hopes for many and many dreams come true this past Sunday. Bong Joon Ho and his beloved film Parasite made history, and platforms were stood on to promote social issues hot on the scene, and the stars were shining like… literal stars from the red carpet. These are some of the highlights in case you missed something!

BEST DRESSED!

Janelle Monae – Janelle rocked a Ralph Lauren ball gown featuring 168,000 Swarovski crystals AND a draped hood. What can I say other than: S-L-A-Y. 

Brie Larson – She was twinkling in a pink Celine by Hedi Slimane dress adorned with–you guessed it– Swarovski crystals. Don’t worry, it was only 13,000 this time!

Scarlet Johanson – When doesn’t this woman look good? She wore a silk pewter gown with a silver chain draped bodice. And Colin Jost was the perfect arm candy!

Natalie Portman – She wore a stunning black and gold Dior cape with the names of the unrecognized female directors from this year’s films embroidered on the front  

Timothee Chalamet – Always a god. He wore a navy Prada jumpsuit with a popped collar and diamond brooch clipped to the pocket. What. A. Stud. 

BEST AWARD SPEECHES! 

Bong Joon Ho – Sweet and endearing is how I would describe his speech-ES. Yes, there was a handful to watch a smile on. He gave great thanks to his fellow directors nominated alongside in and for their inspiration. His colleagues also praised him for his humor and direction,  as well as the academy for the esteemed opportunity to display their collective work to beyond the South Korean film community. 

Hildur Guðnadottir – Who is this magical woman sweeping all of the original music score awards this season?! It’s the talented and endearing Hildur. She won for creating and composing the musical score in the movie Joker. Throughout the award season, she has been the biggest voice and advocate for females in the film industry. “To the girls, to the women, to the mothers, to the daughters who hear the music bubbling within, please speak up we need to hear your voices,” she spoke to the crowd in her acceptance speech. With very little female representation at this year’s Oscars, Hildur is our soldier on this lonely front, but I would follow her into battle anywhere! You rock Hildur Guðnadottir.

Joaquin Phoenix – This speech was emotional and full of love. Joaquin used his platform, as he has done previously this award season to take stances against injustice. While it has previously focused on climate change or institutional oppression, he used his time on Sunday night to turn towards diversity, inclusion and equality. He urges the conversation and stands to fight against “the belief that just one nation, one people, one race, one gender, or one species has the right… to exploit another.” This is what he calls a fight against injustice. Lastly, his acceptance speech paid tribute to his late brother River Phoenix in reciting a lyric he wrote, “Run to the rescue with love, and peace will follow.” 

ALL AROUND WINNER!

The movie Parasite swept the big awards this year, winning Best Director, Best International Feature Film, Best Screenplay, and Best Picture. Parasite was the historic in that it is the first International Feature Film to win Best Picture in Oscar history! The acceptance speeches by Bong Joon Ho and colleagues were also very charming.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Little Women – This movie was adorable and funny. It warms the heart and allows the audience to look through a window into a lifetime that we won’t necessarily have lived through, but can at least understand, relate to, and laugh with!

1917 – Absolutely breathtaking shots for a spectacular story to tell. The cinematography and the story he tells with it make the audiences feel apart of the year, 1917. It also did well at the Oscars, taking home a total of 3, just one behind Parasite, making it the second biggest winner of the night!

Joker – This one has a lot of tough scenes but is completely worth the watch. It reflects on both the reality for people with mental illness and upon means of help available in our country through institutions in place in our society.

Hair Love (winner of Best Animated short film) – This short features a young black girl trying to tame her hair and her father stepping in and teaching her ways to love her hair instead. The movement for women of color to love their hair and ditch the oppression of beautiful curls has been amazing and this is the cutest possible film to teach young girls that as well!

Lastly, A LIST OF ALL NOMINATIONS AND WINNERS… winners are bolded!

Best Picture 

1917

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Marriage Story

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Parasite

Ford v Ferrari

Best Actress 

Cynthia Erivo, Harriet

Renée Zellweger, Judy

Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story

Charlize Theron, Bombshell

Saoirse Ronan, Little Women

Best Actor 

Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory

Adam Driver, Marriage Story

Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Best Director 

Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

Sam Mendes, 1917

Todd Phillips, Joker

Martin Scorsese, The Irishman

Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Best Supporting Actress

Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Florence Pugh, Little Women

Margot Robbie, Bombshell

Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell

Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit

Best Supporting Actor 

Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Al Pacino, The Irishman

Joe Pesci, The Irishman

Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Music (original song)

“I’m Standing With You” from Breakthrough

“Into The Unknown” from Frozen II

“Stand Up” from Harriet

“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from Rocketman

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from Toy Story 4

“Glasgow” from Wild Rose

Music (original score)

Joker – Hildur Guðnadottir

Little Women

Marriage Story

1917

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

International feature film

France, Les Misérables

North Macedonia, Honeyland

Poland, Corpus Christi

South Korea, Parasite

Spain, Pain and Glory

Makeup and hairstyling 

Bombshell

Joker

Judy

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

1917

Visual effects

Avengers: Endgame

The Irishman

The Lion King

1917

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best film editing

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Ford v Ferrari

Parasite

Best cinematography 

Roger Deakins, 1917

Rodrigo Prieto, The Irishman

Lawrence Sher, Joker

Jarin Blaschke, The Lighthouse

Robert Richardson, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Best sound mixing

Ad Astra

Joker

1917

Ford v Ferrari

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Best sound editing

1917

Ford v Ferrari

Joker

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Documentary short feature

In the Absence

Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)

Life Overtakes Me

St. Louis Superman

Walk Run Cha-Cha

Documentary feature

American Factory

The Cave

The Edge of Democracy

For Sama

Honeyland

Best costume design

Sandy Powell & Christopher Peterson, The Irishman

Mark Bridges, Joker

Arianne Phillips, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Jacqueline Durran, Little Women

Mayes C. Rubeo, Jojo Rabbit

Best production design

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

The Irishman

1917

Jojo Rabbit

Parasite

Live-action short film 

Brotherhood

Nefta Football Club

The Neighbors’ Window

Saria

A Sister

Best adapted screenplay

Steven Zaillian, The Irishman

Greta Gerwig, Little Women

Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit

Anthony McCarten, The Two Popes

Todd Phillips & Scott Silver, Joker

Best original screenplay

Rian Johnson, Knives Out

Noah Baumbach, Marriage Story

Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns, 1917

Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

Animated short film 

Dcera (Daughter)

Hair Love

Kitbull

Memorable

Sister

Animated feature film

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

I Lost My Body

Klaus

Missing Link

Toy Story 4

I hope you enjoyed reading about the awards as much as I did, and be sure to watch all the films that won (trust me, you won’t regret it)!

Trying to elevate small talk to medium talk.
Huge bagels and Soundcloud enthusiast.