Not having enough fun in college? 3 downtown entertainment spots to visit this holiday season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

The beginning of each semester is always a time of profound change. A fresh set of classes brings unfamiliar professors and schedules, different living arrangements mean new friends and potential dating partners, and we begin to adapt to various locations to frequent. As we quickly approach the frigid winter months, I often fall into the laziness of only eating and working near my dorm – a common college mistake. When we reach the weekend, I usually don’t stray too far from college hill during my free time but in doing so, I miss out on the variety of food, dining, and entertainment options in downtown Easton. Here are three great local spots, all within a 15 minute walk (or five minute Uber), that you won’t want to miss this winter.

State Theatre Center for the Arts                                            453 Northampton Street, Easton, PA 18042

The 1,500 seat, historic theater is located downtown just past the Easton Public Market and hosts a wide variety of events featuring plays, musical performances, and other events throughout the year. The venue has been a staple of the downtown area since its opening in 1926, and displays a vibrant beaux-arts architectural style that you would expect to see in France or on Broadway, complete with loge and box seating and a sprawling balcony. If you’re a fan of jazz, don’t miss Grammy Award winning saxophonist Kenny G on December 6th as part of the theaters’ holiday tour. Tickets range from 50-80 dollars so this is a good event if you have family members in town to visit, or if you are trying to impress a new friend or work colleague. On Saturday, December 1st, the theater will host the ‘Christmas Wonderland Holiday Spectacular,’ to help you get in the Christmas spirit with some of your favorite holiday tunes. You can find their latest calendar of events online or on Facebook.  

One Centre Square                                                                          1 Centre Square, Easton, PA 18042

Opened in summer 2017, the joint music venue and nightclub underwent extensive renovations to replace Drinky’s Nightclub after a 13-year run in downtown Easton. The venue is located right off of the center circle, and is a popular spot for local college students and residents alike. The main music hall, which has a simple modern style, has brought in a variety of bands and musicians during its 18-month run, featuring artists ranging from Saliva, a rock band, to Ghostface Killah, a rapper and member of the Wu-Tang Clan, to Drake Bell, a well-known actor and musician. An elevated platform in the back of the main room provides guests with a full, wrap-around bar with a view of the stage, and the lobby area provides a relaxing atmosphere with a small bar to enjoy pre-show cocktails and a selection of beer, wine, and spirits. One Centre Square is open daily from 3 pm – 2 am, and features special ‘Club Nights’ on Friday’s and Saturday’s with a rotating cast of DJ’s and drink specials until midnight, according to the official website. Although some of the events are open only to those 21 and over, the nightclub also hosts functions for people of all ages.

The Lafayette Bar                                                                              15 N 4th Street, Easton, PA 18042

“The Original Home of Jazz in Easton” is a charming, old school bar with a built-in stage area for a rotating cast of disc-spinning jockeys and jazz cats. The Lafayette Bar should be on your list of places to visit this holiday season. Open Monday thru Saturday from noon – 2 am, the venue alternates between DJ club nights and relaxing jazz music every Saturday evening. While you will need a valid 21 and over ID to sit at the bar and enjoy one of their many drink specials, simply tell the person at the door that you’re a Lafayette student interested in listening to the jazz music and you’ll get right in, provided you’re over 18. The bar offers a wide selection of alcoholic beverages from the sweeping countertop that occupies the main area of the restaurant, and the dining room provides a spread of seating options leading right up to the stage for an intimate musical experience. If you’re looking for a way to relieve the stress of finals week, DJ Indamission will be scratching the vinyl on Saturday, December 8th at 9:30 pm. If you have the misfortune of late final exams, consider seeing the Floyd King Quartet perform live as they come to town on Saturday, December 15th at 9:30 pm. Check out the Lafayette Bar’s website and official Facebook page for updated show times and information.

These three local options are just a few of the many excellent entertainment choices available in downtown Easton. Whether you’re creating your own color of Crayon or listening to a stirring rendition of a classical jazz piece, throw on a coat and get out of the dorm to experience what the community has to offer. The holiday season is a time filled with stress for many college students, and a great way to relax and forget about your classes is to do something you enjoy!

Sophomore psychology and economics major at Lafayette. I also write for the school paper and host a weekly radio show covering 80s and 90s hip hop. I write for Her Campus about a variety of topics such as campus life, news, events, entertainment, food, and fitness.
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette