This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

The cliche of “a broke college student” exists for a reason. Money just seems to disappear the minute you move back onto campus. Maybe it’s impulsive online shopping or going out a little too often. Whatever your vice is, it might be time to get an on-campus job to replenish those funds. Here are some tips on how to find a job and some ideas of what type of work is available for students at Lafayette College.

How to Find a Job.

Lafayette uses “Handshake” to post any on-campus jobs. To access Handshake, login to “my Lafayette”. Scroll down to the links under the header “Living on Campus” and select the link titled “View Campus Jobs”. 

This link will lead you to the Handshake webpage. Once you login, select “Jobs” in the top left corner. To refine to only see on-campus work opportunities, select “On-campus” as a filter. Then you’ll be able to scroll through all of the posted job opportunities from all around campus. 

What Types of Jobs Could I Do?

1. Work for Rec Services

Rec Services runs every aspect of operations at Kirby Sports Center. 

• You can become a Fitness Assistant who monitors the fitness center and is responsible for the safety of patrons using cardio machines and weight lifting equipment. 
  • The Facilities Monitors sit at the front check-in desk. They oversee all of the various athletic and recreational rooms in Kirby. 
  • If you love rock climbing, then you could become a climbing wall assistant.
  • Lastly, if you have lifeguard training, then you can work as a lifeguard at the Kirby pool. 

Overall, Kirby Sports Center requires a lot of help to keep the large facility running smoothly. Therefore, this is a fairly easy place to get a job as they are often looking for help. 

2. Language Center 

On the 4th floor of Pardee is the language center. For language courses, a “lab hour” is often required which students can fulfill in the language center. Thus, there are a handful of jobs that are responsible for checking students in as well as knowing how to use the technology in the center. 

3. Dining Services 

Bon Appetit is in constant need of help to run our variety of dining facilities. Currently, they are looking for waitstaff, cooks, catering attendants, cashiers, dining room attendants are needed for all locations including The Trolley Stop Diner, Lafayette Dining Units in Marquis, Upper Farinon, Lower Farinon, Gilbert’s Cafe, Skillman Cafe, and the Catering Department.

4. The College Store 

If you work retail at home, then working in the college store might be a logical choice of work. The store is looking for student workers who can be responsible for customer relations, register operations, maintaining store presence, and will help with online order fulfillment and inventory.

These are four of the most common on-campus work opportunities. Of course, there are many more niche opportunities available depending on your personal skill sets and experience. I encourage you to do some of your own research and find the perfect job for you. Go get that bag!

Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College