Making My Way Downtown: A Tour of Easton’s Premier Breakfast Locales

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

So it’s the 11th week of classes and you’re getting a bit tired of eating eggs and home fries from Marquis and breakfast sandwiches from Gilbert’s. You’ve tried to switch it up, go to Upper or Skillman for meals, but you could still use some more variety. Mojo and Cosmic are both great options, but those initial 50 flex dollars run out fast and you’ll be lucky if you make it beyond the first month of college with any significant amount of remaining balance. But sometimes you have to treat yourself, get off campus, and enjoy a tasty meal in nearby downtown Easton. With that in mind, here a few places where you can’t go wrong.

Angelo’s Restaurant – 14 North 4th St, Easton, PA 18042

A wonderful, family owned restaurant that’s been around for over 40 years, Angelo’s has a pleasant atmosphere and serves breakfast and lunch all day. Step inside the charming dining room with tile floors and long countertop and you’ll feel at home with the excellent service and variety of breakfast options. If you’re hoping to eat on a budget, stop in between 6-11 and try the ‘Angelo’s Rise and Shine’ which comes with two eggs any style, home fries or grits, toast, and your choice of coffee or tea all for only $3.50! If you’re looking to splurge a bit more, don’t miss out on the ‘Pancake Wrap,’ a pancake wrapped with Nutella and filled with strawberries or bananas (or both!) and topped with powdered sugar and whipped cream. Speaking from personal experience, the Pancake Wrap is positively delectable. Angelo’s also has a number of tasty breakfast sandwiches, omelettes, and pancakes. If you stop in for lunch, try one of the classic sandwiches or wraps such as the ‘Turkey Club’ or ‘Caesar Chicken Wrap’ which are all reasonably priced between four and seven dollars. Angelo’s is open daily from six am to three pm, so stop on by for some delicious food!  

State Café and Grill – 14-16 South 5th St, Easton, PA 18042

Located just a few blocks down from Angelo’s, the State Café and Grill offers unique food options in a non-traditional atmosphere. The kitchen is located in the center of the dining area, which further supports the homey environment and quick service in this local favorite. Take advantage of the booths lining the walls or outdoor seating when the weather is nice, and try to avoid the crowded middle area where many Easton residents enjoy a hot meal to start their day. The ‘Banana French Toast’ is exquisite, topped with banana bourbon sauce and chocolate chips and served in a short stack of their thick bread. For a lighter option, the oatmeal is mixed with fresh milk and comes topped with brown sugar and option for fresh fruit at an additional charge. The ‘Lily Style Oatmeal’ is an appealing option, as the oats are topped with craisins, raisins, apples, and walnuts for $6.25. If you’re feeling frugal, try the ‘State Special,’ which includes 2 eggs any style, home fries, toast, and coffee for only $4.75. Much of the food served at the State Café is locally sourced, so rest assured you are getting fresh options coming straight from the nearby community!

Hill’s Kitchen – 501 Cattell Street, Easton, PA 18042

The last preview is of an even more local spot, Hill’s Kitchen, which is located on College Hill just a few blocks from campus near College Hill Tavern. Despite a recent change in management, the restaurant is back and better than ever with a revitalized menu and a new interior design featuring a multi colored cow! Known for their excellent potatoes, the menu features a variety of omelets, breakfast sandwiches, and appetizing sides. Try out the hot cakes, which come in stacks ranging from one to four hot cakes, optionally topped with seasonal fruit such as banana, blueberry, and apple. A stack of one (single stack) is only $3, and the regular stack of three is $4.75. Look no further than the ‘Apple Cinnamon Short Stack’ which is covered with delicious apple cinnamon flavoring and your choice of one fresh fruit, all for $6.25. If you’re looking for even more fruity flavor, try the thick ‘Belgian Style Waffles’ and top it with a variety of fruit, from strawberries and blueberries to kiwi. A local favorite is the breakfast muffins, grilled and smothered in warm butter. The muffins are seasonal and include distinct flavors such as the recent pumpkin muffins for the fall months. The kitchen is hoping to bring in more students and potentially include an option for flex dollars payment, so stop on in and take advantage of the cozy atmosphere and spacious outdoor seating at Hill’s Kitchen!

Remember during the busy times of the semester to give yourself a break even if you don’t feel you need one. Getting a warm, healthy meal off campus is a great way to recharge and refresh your food palate, especially during a stressful week. Even if you’re strapped for cash, all of these excellent spots offer tasty options that won’t break the bank. Go check them out, you won’t be disappointed!

Sophomore psychology and economics major at Lafayette. I also write for the school paper and host a weekly radio show covering 80s and 90s hip hop. I write for Her Campus about a variety of topics such as campus life, news, events, entertainment, food, and fitness.
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette