This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Episode 1–June 7th

Katie’s season started off with a bang…or should I say with a box? New co-hosts Tayshia and Kaitlyn were introduced in the style of Thelma and Louise and brought a fun, playful energy to Katie’s first night. Their new friendship was palpable from the screen and it was refreshing to see someone other than Chris Harrison in this role. Some have said the two hosts overshadowed Katie, but I think they complimented her well. Katie’s night one dress was the first in Bachelorette history not to be a neutral color and it was glamorous and exquisite! She met the men with a realistic confidence–a combination not seen in every Bachelorette! The men stood out in terms of romance and drama! Connor B, donned a cat costume, to mimic Katie’s cat, Tommy, and his one on one time with her felt very authentic, he seems like a front runner for sure! Greg got her first impression rose, and while I was initially very taken with him, his persona, Instagram, and various rumors both make me worry he is a bit of a player! Andrew S tried to fool Katie with his English accent but was foiled by his own nerves–his intro clip with his grandmother charmed me though! Tre’s ball pit entrance was one I’m not sure we’ve ever seen on the show, how exciting and inventive! James had my favorite entrance though–according to various interviews, he stayed in a box for hours on end, scrunched up in a three-piece suit, being fed through a small hole in the box, awaiting Katie’s arrival! When he finally came out, he was absolutely alluring, and so far, my favorite alongside Connor. The previews showing previous contestant Blake Moynes and the brewing drama (that went unexplained in this episode) between Aaron and Cody have me on the edge of my seat!

Episode 2 — June 14th

Episode two begins with a group date centered around the buzzword of the season – sex-positive. The guys file into a dark room to be quizzed on their *ahem* biological knowledge, and show Katie what would make them the greatest lover. Connor stood out with a cute song, and Karl stood out for a very uncomfortable speech. The man who shone the most though was Mike, who showed a lot of vulnerability when telling Katie in front of everyone that he was a virgin. The first one-on-one of the season was given to the first impression rose recipient Greg, which is apparently a first! They had a sweet “camping” date, and during the dinner, portion had a touching conversation and connected on the loss of their fathers. Of course, it wouldn’t be the Bachelorette without drama, and on the second group date tension between Aaron and Cody is finally explained after that random night one snippet – they knew each other from home. Katie confronts them both, and as I’m sure you can guess, the phrase “right reasons” was said a lot. In the end, I admire Katie for deciding to send Cody home on the group date and not waffling or dragging it out. Also during that night, she had a great conversation with Andrew S, and I’m excited to see where their relationship goes! I appreciated how at the start of the cocktail party, Katie reminded the men that although they’re in a TV bubble, this is her real life and theirs too. Unfortunately, drama overwhelms the night after Karl tells Katie that multiple men aren’t here for the right reasons – but then doesn’t have examples or names to back him up. Stirring the pot costs viewers a rose ceremony at the end of the night, and we’re left wondering if Katie will believe Karl and what she’ll choose to do.

Episode 3–June 21st

Episode three had emotions coursing through it, bouts of drama, and sparked history in the making! It began with the exciting conclusion to last week’s cliffhanger–would Karl live another day and receive the ever-coveted final rose of the evening? In most seasons, the producers would have convinced Katie to keep him, citing the fact that the added drama would boost the ratings, but in a shocking twist of events, Mike P, the trustworthy man who shared a heartfelt testimony about his virginity earlier that week, stepped forward and proclaimed that as a group, the men believed Karl to be lying about someone being here “for the wrong reasons.” Katie took a minute, consulted with her co-hosts, and ultimately stunned viewers by cutting the drama right then and there. Of course, that meant it was time for the next dramatic date–Former Bachelor, Nick Viall, led the men and Katie in a date that involved sharing their deepest truths–Connor B shared that he battled substance abuse and cheated on his ex-girlfriend, Hunter admitted to prioritizing work over relationships, and Thomas admitted to being there for the platform, favoring Instagram followers over a life with Katie. This may have been foreshadowing for his demise or an initial flaw Katie can overlook–only time will tell. Katie also shared a testimony about being sexually assaulted in college. Even in a moment where she did not have to let down her walls, Katie let the men and the audience see another side of her, showing more vulnerability and relatability in one date than many leads do in their whole season. The second date of the episode only intensified the emotions audience members felt thus far–Michael A told Katie about how his wife and the love of his life, Laura, was diagnosed with breast cancer, shortly after giving birth to their son, James, and died shortly thereafter. Michael reassured Katie that they could build their own unique love story and Katie listened compassionately, showing that these two have an undeniable connection. Next week’s preview shows the rest of Thomas’ arc, as well as the entrance of Blake Moynes, a contestant from co-host Tayshia Adams’ season, coming late to vie for Katie’s heart!

Episode 4 – June 28th

Opening with the second group date from last week, episode 4 had everyone cringing with this painful date filled with hot peppers and embarrassing prompts for the guys to show Katie how far they’re willing to go for their relationship. Despite the light-hearted beginning, the drama quickly follows as Tre decides to tell Katie his concerns about Thomas. At the end of the night, many of the guys concur with Tre, and Katie surprisingly gives him the group date rose. I think this sets a unique precedent for Katie as it could encourage the men to start drama, when Katie just wants honesty. We then cut to a visit from Tayshia who tells Katie that Blake is there. Later on, they meet up and have an awkward but adorable conversation, but she leaves without deciding if he can stay or not. Before the rose ceremony, Thomas comes to Katie’s room and makes a painful attempt to apologize and explain himself to her, but she doesn’t seem to find him sincere at all. By the time the night actually starts, it’s already midnight and Katie has some sweet conversations with the other men, especially Michael (protect this man at all costs!). Before Katie hands out the first rose, Thomas interrupts with a hail mary by apologizing to everyone. When Katie reaches the last rose, she calls out Thomas’s name. leaving everyone shocked, because Katie’s been such a no-nonsense bachelorette so far. Instead of pinning it to his lapel, though, she tells him that his bachelor audition is over and that he should get out. Yikes! Finally, we end the night on a more positive note when Katie tells Blake he can stay, and Blake accidentally locks himself out of his room in his underwear.

Episode 5–July 5th

The moment we, or should I say I, have been waiting for! After the cliffhanger of last week’s episode, Blake finally entered the house to lukewarm reactions and a one-on-one date card! He made sure to relate to and console the guys, implying he would have come earlier if the producers had let him. His date with Katie felt effortless, like they’d known each other forever, they rode horses side by side, Blake overcame his childhood fear, and they bonded. At dinner, Katie opened up about her sexual assault again and Blake reacted in a very compassionate and reassuring way. When they kissed and danced to Lane Hardy, the connection was undeniable. I couldn’t stop swooning! The following day, Katie had a group date entitled, “Bachelorette Bash Ball Battle” hosted by two of my favorite bachelor superstars, Wells and Franco! Aaron accidentally injured Michael A in the face of Hunter getting progressively more aggressive. Katie found her talk with Hunter endearing though and she gave him the group date rose, much to everyone’s chagrin. Michael A tells the guys his story, as it’s his late wife’s birthday and the friendships and bonds they’ve built are so touching, each man truly takes in what Michael is saying and is there to support him. Finally, Katie goes on a date with Andrew S and it feels like he’s exactly the kind of guy she should like, but there is definitely a friend zone vibe in the air. He starts an important conversation at the dinner portion about interracial families, a topic never brought up on the franchise before and gets the rose. Finally, Katie cuts some guys but the only one I remember is Quartney, who will be missed. The preview looked explosive so I’m looking forward to next week!

Episode 6 – July 12th

We’re about halfway through Katie’s season and she has an *ahem* an interesting challenge for the men that involves putting a pause on their “self care.” This segment kind of comes out of nowhere, but isn’t off-brand for our Bachelorette. Besides that, the episode centers on Hunter, who is apparently a Bachelor superfan and already is thinking about who makes Katie’s top 4. On the group date, a roasting date hosted by two amazing drag queens, Hunter is the clear target, and in an attempt to redeem himself for Katie he says he’s falling for her that just comes off as fake. (Spoiler alert: he goes home). The first one-on-one is for Justin and the two have a wedding photoshoot date that is awkward (wedding gowns on a first date??) but super cute! Next up for the one-on-one: Connor B, aka Connor the cat. Katie is concerned about their romantic spark and is hoping that this double date with host Kaitlyn and her fiance, Jason, will show her their potential. Sadly, as Katie explains, when she and Connor kiss there is just something missing. So before the dinner date, she finds Connor and tells him. Viewers’ hearts everywhere break because not only is Connor such a great guy, but he handles their breakup well. (Not to fear for all the Connor fans out there, because he was announced as a contestant on Bachelor in Paradise!) In a quick change of pace, Blake visits Katie to cheer her up and it turns into a makeout session. At the rose ceremony, we say goodbye to Aaron, James, Tre, and Hunter, and hopefully, good riddance to the drama.

Episode 7–July 19th

The week before hometowns is always a make or break for every relationship and this year was no exception. Greg is the only contestant in the season to get a second one-on-one, showing Katie really likes him and knows he needs some reassurance. From his lackluster reaction to his name being called for the date to his general lack of enthusiasm all day, Greg just seems to like Katie less than she likes him. Back at the house, Brendan realizes he won’t be getting a one on one at all, so he makes a last-ditch effort to connect with Katie at her door. She admits that there isn’t enough time for him to catch up with everyone and sends him home. The group date featured my favorite moment of the episode—Katie kissing Andrew S in front of everyone and Justin’s shocked face getting a full minute of screen time. The guys were asked to make erotic art pieces inspired by Katie—Justin painted a beautiful rose surrounded by lackluster stick figures, Michael sculpted Katie from behind (very out of character but pretty funny), Andrew painted a pretty impressive sushi display and Blake made something so inappropriate that the producers decided to completely black it out. At the night portion, Katie tells Andrew she’d move anywhere to support him, tells Blake things are easiest with him, gave the rose to Michael after discussing meeting his son, and didn’t really have a memorable moment with Justin. Mike P’s first (and last) one on one surrounded a cuddle date where he compared Katie to his mom on more than one occasion and understandably was axed. Finally, in a shocking series of twists, Katie sends Andrew home, he comes back with a letter saying if she changes her mind he’s there, she chases after him, offers him the chance to stay and he refuses it, knowing he’d just be sent home the following week. Onto hometowns and Men Tell All!

Episode 8

It’s hometowns week and one man, in particular, is struggling. For Michael A, being apart from his son James for so long is really starting to take a toll. While video calling with him (the powers that be allow him to talk with his son!) James says he thinks his dad doesn’t want to see him anymore. Well, that breaks Michael’s heart and all of ours too. So, Michael does what he thinks is best – he goes to Katie and tells her he needs to be James’s father right now, and he leaves. Katie says she selfishly wants him to stay, but of course, understands he needs to be there for his son. Flash forward to the Tell-All, where there’s just a lot of yelling and arguments, and Katie accidentally calls Aaron Thomas. Oops. Connor B has a good hot seat segment which turns awkward with a Very Staged kiss with an audience member. Next up is Andrew S who talks about how he wants someone who will pick him, and he doesn’t want to feel like a second choice. Michael A has his turn in the hot seat, and there’s a video call from Thomas, too, where he apologizes to her. As usual, the best part of this episode (and any bachelor season really) are the bloopers. Absolutely stellar content that I wish we’d see more of.

Episode 9-10

After Michael’s devastating goodbye, Katie collects herself and has fun hometown day dates with Justin and Blake. She and Justin clearly don’t have chemistry, it’s a wonder he’s still here, but he really does seem like he is more than the memes made of his face–like a sweet, kind-hearted guy. His parents don’t come to meet Katie, which leaves him disappointed, but rallying in time to introduce Katie to his best friends. For Blake’s date, the two experience Quarantine Canada, which features novelties like maple syrup and dart throwing, and then Katie meets Blake’s mom, Emily, and his siblings. His mom is a lot of fun, I’m hoping she is featured on The Bachelor spinoff for seniors, and his sister completely roasts Blake for being on multiple seasons, but all in all, it goes well. Then, all hell breaks loose after Greg’s relatively forgettable day date when he confesses his love for Katie and she does not reciprocate. She set a boundary and told all of the last few guys that she wouldn’t say she loved anyone until the very end to avoid unnecessarily hurting them. Greg pushes her and shows he doesn’t care about her boundaries or feelings, leaves her crying and begging him to come back, just because she didn’t say exactly what he wanted to hear. I think he wanted to be the Bachelor and would have found a reason to leave regardless of what she said. Katie has admitted that this truly left her heartbroken and yet, after her date with Blake, she is sure she has still found everlasting love. She breaks up with Justin before his fantasy suite date, Blake picks out a ring with his very recent ex, Tayshia (interesting choice, production), and proposes in a breathtaking and extremely authentic way. The two ride off into the sunset, and after an uncomfortable confrontation with Greg on After the Final Rose, they reveal that they are happier now than ever. I think this couple has a great chance of working out and am really rooting for Andrew or Michael for Bachelor!

Lisa Green

Lafayette '24

Hi, I'm Lisa and I'm a freshman at Lafayette. I'm interested in theater, politics, cooking and more!
Emily Tesbir

Lafayette '24

first-year at lafayette