Is Watching “Only Murders in the Building” Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Only Murders in the Building is 100% worth your time. This Fall, Hulu released this 10-episode masterpiece starring Martin Short, Steve Martin, and Selena Gomez. If you haven’t heard of it yet, here is a quick summary from Rotten Tomatoes,

“Three strangers share an obsession with true crime and suddenly find themselves wrapped up in one. When a grisly death occurs inside their exclusive Upper West Side apartment building, the trio suspects murder and employs their precise knowledge of true crime to investigate the truth. Perhaps even more explosive are the lies they tell one another. Soon, the endangered trio comes to realize a killer might be living among them as they race to decipher the mounting clues before it’s too late.”  

Personally, I am a true crime podcast fan. This comedy series perfectly encapsulates the weird world of true-crime podcasts and the fascination that grasps listeners. While the title may allude to a more dark and scary show,  it is actually the perfect lighthearted show to watch at night.

The plot, characters, and cliffhangers left me wanting more at the end of each episode. OriginallyI wasn’t sure how Selena Gomez would fit in with Martin Short and Steve Martin. However, I ended up loving the entire cast and I actually think that the odd pairing made the show mesh even better.

I don’t want to spoil the show for anyone so I won’t say much more. However, this is your PSA to go watch Only Murders in the Building! Trust me, you won’t regret it. 

Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College