This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Trying to balance all of the different responsibilities in your life all at once is a stressful and sometimes daunting task. I personally am in four executive positions and outside of that am a member of over six organizations. I often blur the lines between clubs and organizations at times, and get overwhelmed with anxiety. Despite the difficulties, the feeling of being able to change things directly or contribute to change is so satisfying that the stress makes it worth the difficulty.

I’m going to share three different ways that I am able to balance all of my responsibilities without slacking off.

1. Plan for the future, but be prepared for change

This is the most important aspect of my life. As someone who struggles with anxiety, I always want to have a clear cut schedule or path for myself and if I deviate from that path I begin to freak out. By making space in your schedule for unplanned events, you are able to adapt quickly without shutting down. If you are planning for a huge event that encompasses fundraising,multiple clubs, and events, try having a backup for everything. For example, if you have a speaker coming to talk about practicing safe sex but they’re flying in from another state or taking a bus in, make sure that you have an alternative act just in case your speaker is late or can no longer make it. If you have an exam that you have to study for and you have your study schedule planned out, but then the library closes unexpectedly, make sure that you have other places where you can focus that are conducive to your learning. 

2. Only participate in things that make you happy 

Participating in clubs or events because of peer pressure or FOMO is a real issue. The idea of being able to join as many clubs as you want is appealing, but it is unlikely that you’ll remain in all of them. When you decide to get involved with organizations that you are not passionate about or do not care for you end up not putting 100% into anything you do, it ends up hurting them and making you upset. Test out as many clubs as you want, but make sure that you only remain in groups that you care about.

3. Watch out for conflicts

By this, I don’t mean fighting or arguments. Schedule conflicts can put the biggest damper on your day or week. You want to make sure that your meetings do not overlap, or promise to be two places at once. Try to be realistic in your availability. This can be achieved by documenting the events or meetings you can make it to in a calendar on your phone or through Google, and checking it before you make further plans. If you have two absolutely mandatory meetings or events taking place at once, make sure the members of your organizations are aware that you might have to only stay for half the time. 

Getting super involved in campus life or in your career can be fun, but quickly becomes a nuisance when not managed correctly. Enjoy yourself but stay on top of your responsibilities!

Laya Allen

Lafayette '24

who would wanna think inside the box? being weird is a blessing.
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College