sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Save Money in College 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Feeling a little broke? That’s okay. The first month of college is the most expensive. Buying all the things that you forgot at home like shampoo or socks, or buying new clothes to go out in or to go to class, and of course, eating off campus because dining hall food just does not compare to Mom’s cooking. Feeling broke in college seems to be a right of passage as a student, however, here are a few things you can do to make it a bit easier to save where and when you can. Here are some tips and tricks that my friends and I have learned so far, and I am sure there are even more out there:

1. Use a Keurig or coffee rather than Starbucks.

It is more expensive up front but in the long run it will make a difference. This 40 box of pods costs $23.99, making each cup of coffee you drink cost 60 cents. Even with the price of the Keurig, this still ends up being cheaper over your four years of college and after you graduate.

2. Stay focused when you go to Target

There are many things which are tempting to buy, you probably do not need them.

3. Give yourself a budget and allocate spending to certain areas

For example, you may designate a certain amount of money a month for off campus food, new clothes, room decor, and other areas. You could limit yourself to $40 a month for food. Although there are yummy places such as Sette Luna Down the hill, there is Pizzo Dora, Don Juans, and campus if you’re keeping yourself to a strict budget.

4. Sign up to UNIdays

They give discounts on TONS of stores including things such as Apple music.

5. Rent your textbook!

Amazon offers this and it is less hassle than selling books at the end of the semester and much cheaper.

6. Get a job!

Whether you have work study or not, there are jobs such as tutoring, PARDners, athlete peer mentors and much more available. Look on the Lafayette Website and see what suits you best.

Saving money in college is not about missing out on activities with your friends, it’s about managing your money so that you can go out with all your friends on a Saturday for dinner and not feel like you are stretching your wallet thin. There are many more ways than this to help you save money, so keep looking and you will find a way that works best for you. Good Luck and happy shopping and eating!

Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette