This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

I have been hearing a lot about Poshmark the past couple of years. Over the summer, I figured I would see what all the hype about in hopes of making a little extra cash before going to college. I was surprised at how easy the process was and quickly became obsessed with the app. 

Poshmark is a social media app for all lovers of clothing. It can easily be downloaded from the app store. It is also a great way to practice sustainability all while cleaning out your closet and making a profit. For those of you just getting started, start by going to the back of your closet and find those items that you never quite got enough use out of, got way too much use out of, or just items that no longer fit. Next, take several pictures of the items, and write a description of the item, paying particular attention to any flaws with the items. Lastly, decide a price point and post! When using Poshmark it is really important to keep in mind that some items will sell faster than others. It’s easy to get discouraged, but your closet will be popping in no time, especially once when you gain followers. 

First, in order to make the best profit be sure to present your listings well and post high-quality pictures. You can further promote your items by sharing your listings multiple times so that more people will see them.

Second, when selling your clothes on Poshmark it is important to keep an open mind. Be willing to negotiate with your buyers, there is no need to get fussy over a few dollars. If you aren’t as willing to negotiate you could always price your clothes higher than you want to sell them for so that it doesn’t hurt you as much when it comes to negotiation.

Third, the most important thing when selling your clothes online is to make sure that you were honest about the conditions of the items. Make sure that the product description matches the condition of the product! People can get upset and even report you to the app and you can have your account suspended if you aren’t honest. Mistakes happen, but try your best to report your items accurately.

Now that you know my tips and tricks, we can talk about what to do when you get a buyer. When you get a buyer, all you have to do is print out the shipping label that they send to your email, cut it out, tape it on a box, and package it up. Bring it to the post office and your money will be deposited into your Poshmark account shortly.

Hope these tips helped! Happy Poshing!

Meghan Gillis

Lafayette '23

;) @meghan.gillis on ig