kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Did you know that it takes on average 66 days to form a habit? That is two whole months of repetition and remembering to do something for it to become ingrained into your daily routine. Here are some great habits that you should try to implement to improve your overall health and lifestyle!

Make your bed in the morning

By keeping your bed clean and organized, it reflects your state of mind that leads to a more organized life. There’s a great speech from Navy Admiral William McRaven that emphasizes the importance of doing the little things like making your bed.

Positive affirmation

In the morning, saying positive statements to yourself (usually in front of a mirror) can help you feel motivated and give you the proper mindset to start off your day right. Research has shown that by saying positive statements, your subconscious mind is open to suggestions that lead to real change. Psychology Today suggests saying things like, “I manage my time well and I am in control of my life” and “I set daily goals and I am empowered to achieve them.” Here’s a list of more information on affirmations and some examples if you need help getting started.

Drink water! 

This habit may seem simple, but most people don’t drink enough water during the day, especially in the winter when it gets colder. You should try and drink eight 8oz glasses of water throughout the day. The phone app Plant Nanny is a great tool to keep you on track to your daily goal as it encourages you to water your animated plant whenever you drink water yourself by sending out reminders throughout the day!

Wash your face 

Washing your face every night, no matter how tired you are, is a great way to show self-care. In addition, setting a nightly routine allows your body to notice that it is time for bed, which can help if you struggle with falling asleep at night.

Go outside

This habit may be hard to achieve as a student sometimes but spending time outside in the sunlight allows your body to get the Vitamin D it needs. Plus, getting fresh air is always a nice mental break from studying. Taking a walk outside not only clears the mind, but it will help you sleep better. Sleep hormones like melatonin are affected by exposure to direct sunlight, so going outside will allow your body to properly synchronize its circadian rhythm. 

Forming good habits is hard to do but once they are established, they can have positive impacts on your mood, health, and productivity! If you can’t do everything here, try examining your daily routine and determine what you want to improve on, and start planning out what habits will help you accomplish your goals. Then just do it! 

Emily Cotter

Lafayette '21

Emily is a junior at Lafayette College majoring in Chemical Engineering. She is a founding member of Her Campus Lafayette.
Huge bagels and Soundcloud enthusiast.