This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Urban Dictionary states that hookup culture is exclusive to college campuses and has replaced dating, something our parents used to do back in the day. As for our school, hookup culture has almost replaced dating entirely. Even the few relationships on campus seem to mimic the hookup culture we have, with not much more than sober hangouts and planned ‘sleepovers’. 

Hookup culture can be great, and here’s why:

• You are not tied down to anyone and have the freedom to refrain from commitment while getting the desired level of attention and interactions from who you choose. 

• There is less pressure to be with someone if you do not want to be.

• You can figure out who you like, or what you like in people and partners.

• Things can be light-hearted and fun

Hookup Culture can also suck, and here are a few examples why:

• You can get hurt when one person wants more than just casual interactions.

• Sex means different things to people and communicating that can be hard.

• Not everyone is comfortable with ‘hooking up’ with someone they do not know.

• Friendships can be confused when people are getting with others as well as you.

There are positives and negatives to hookup culture and dating no matter where you are. It is important to know even if you are in a hookup culture that does not mean you cannot date the way you want to. Wherever you are, you can find like-minded people around you, however, I think it is important to be cognizant of your surroundings. Being aware of others around you is so important not only for your physical but emotional safety. Knowledge is power and although you may not like hookup culture, being aware of its prevalence in your surroundings is key.

Huge bagels and Soundcloud enthusiast.