This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Midterms are upon us! If you’re like me, you’re finally starting to buckle down in your classes and find that you don’t know where to study! *Gasp* Sure, your dorm room and common room could work, but sometimes you just want a change in scenery.  Here are the best places, on and off campus, to get to work!

Super Quiet

If you’re the type of person who is looking for the type of silence that belongs in a vacuum (science joke), then try these study spots! The second floor of Skillman Library, as well as the library in Kirby Hall, are designated quiet spaces, so click open all of your pens before you get there! Reserved study rooms in the library are also either a hit or a miss in this department, as are individual classrooms in Acopian Engineering Center, New Oeschle, Pardee, Ramer, Kunkel, and Hugel. These classrooms also offer lots of whiteboard/chalkboard space to write out and solve problems for those who like to study by visualizing!

Discussion

If you don’t mind some noise here and there, and sometimes might have to ask a question to a study partner, try the first floor of Skillman Library, as well as the reserved study rooms in the basement of the library. You can reserve a study room here with your Lafayette credentials! Once again, open classrooms in Acopian, New Oeschle, Pardee, Kunkel, Ramer, and Hugel are all good to get some group work done. Most of these classrooms also have projectors so you can practice your presentation without worry!

White-Noise

Don’t mind noise while you study? I like to set up shop in one of the booths in Gilberts or at one of the tables in the back room and let the soothing noises of people talking and ordering food force me to focus on my schoolwork. I can get the same effect in my dorm room by playing loud music, but my roommate has to sleep sometimes, right? If the noise doesn’t bother you, Gilberts is an awesome place to work and there’s iced coffee! The same open classrooms in the academic buildings are also available to you, but lack the same atmosphere.

Off-Campus

If you’re dying to get off campus, try walking to Mojo 516 or Cosmic Cup Coffee! Both of these spaces offer a cozy vibe that is characteristic of a coffee house, but they get quite busy! There are even places down College Hill if you’re feeling a walk (or drive) down. Check out Quadrant Book Mart & Coffee House, which serves the best chai hot chocolate ever and has an amazing homey atmosphere. Playabowls is also available if you are craving something refreshing. A short drive from campus is Tucker Silk Mill! It is an Australian themed cafe that serves locally grown and organic food and is also super cute if you’re in the mood to grab some #aesthetic pics while you’re studying.

Skillman Library closes at 1:00 AM, but know that Acopian is open 24/7 (for engineering students, and everyone else if you get there before 10:00 PM) and your dorm common rooms will always be available to you. Worried that this not enough time for you? During finals week, the availability of most places will change and be open later! Be aware of some of the risks associated with not getting enough sleep, though, as staying up all night is bad for your overall health. Wherever you study, study hard and remember to take care of yourself!

Emily Cotter

Lafayette '21

Emily is a junior at Lafayette College majoring in Chemical Engineering. She is a founding member of Her Campus Lafayette.
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette