Farnsworth Fireplace TV Stand?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Farnsworth Fireplace TV Stand?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Courtesy of Walmart
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Congratulations on making it to the last week left of the semester! All of your hard work will be rewarded in hours under your favorite blanket with your go-to snacks checking things off your ‘to-watch’ list. At least until finals! In the meantime, I highly recommend you add the HBO drama television series ‘Lovecraft Country’ to the queue. This contains no spoilers. 

Lovecraft Country is a supernatural fantasy show created by Misha Green and Jordan Peele based on the book ‘Lovecraft Country’ written by Matt Ruff. The plot follows a Vietnam Veteran from Chicago named Atticus Freeman (played by Jonathan Majors) who embarks on what starts as a journey to find his missing father, Montrose Freeman (played by Michael K. Williams) and uncovers his hidden ancestry. Atticus takes his Uncle George (played by Courtney B. Vance) and his friend Leti (played by Jurnee Smollett-Bell) with him through 1950s Jim Crow America where white racists people aren’t their biggest threat. This show is action-packed, captivating, and imaginative.

This work of art contains twists, turns, and lessons to take with you off the couch while showing you the perspective of history the textbooks forget to mention. Jonathan Majors, Michael K. Williams, Courtney B. Vance, Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Aujuanae Ellis, and everyone else in the production give breathtaking performances as their characters go through individual growth. They collectively redefine what family means and the lengths you will go to to protect them. Misha Green and Jordan Peele were meticulous about the way they wanted to present this story.  Certain aspects of the plot unfold slowly to keep you at the edge of your seat with your explorer cap on as they take you to a different world within reality. I enjoyed the show so much I’ve added Lovecraft Country to my reading list.

This show contains sex and gory scenes, so I recommend sending younger children to their rooms for this one. There is currently one season of ‘Lovecraft Country’ with ten episodes all about an hour long. It’s currently the show’s off-season, so it’s a perfect time to get caught up. For more information about Lovecraft Country, click here. Stay warm this winter, and stay safe. 

I'm a freshman at Lafayette possibly pursuing a double major in Psychology and Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies. Overall, A queen with a calm spirited individual with a wide variety of interests and a huge imagination. I love traveling and trying new things.
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College