food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Extended Spring Break? Here’s What You Should Binge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

During the college semester, we are all loaded with work for our classes, clubs, jobs, Greek Life, volunteering, and more. You may have been too busy watching the Bachelor, but you probably are not watching many shows on Netflix. Here are a few that are definitely worth a try: 

1. Umbrella Academy

Not only does this show have a great soundtrack, but the plot, actors and cinematography will captivate you. This show is based off of a comic series by Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance that centers around 7 kids who were adopted by a billionaire. All of the kids seem to have been born with powers, except for Number 7. They are all taught to use their powers for the greater good. After the death of their “father”, they all come back together after years of being apart. 

2. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina 

If you’re looking for a show with romance, witchcraft, and a strong female lead, you will love this show. Sabrina lives with her 2 aunts and is both part witch and part mortal. She is courageous because she always fights for what is right no matter who or what is in her way. She does not just accept things for the way they are, which causes her to get into a lot of trouble. With her 16th birthday approaching, she has to make a decision about whether she wants to accept her witch side. 

3. Locke and Key 

This show centers around the Locke family after the death of Mr. Locke. They move to a house that was in Mr. Locke’s family and start to find keys in the house that unlock cool powers. The 3 siblings discover the unique properties of each key they find but encounter a villain who will go to extreme lengths to obtain the keys. 

4. Mindhunter

Mindhunter explores how the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) began with their early research of killers and new terminology that is still used today. The center of this show is discovering, defining, and understanding serial killers.  If you are fascinated with the mind of psychopaths and sociopaths, you will definitely enjoy this show. It shows the struggles of using psychology in the FBI to build profiles for criminals using research on actual criminals such as Ed Kemper and Charles Manson. 

5. The Society

In this show, which is based on “The Lord of the Flies”, high school students end up alone in their hometown with no adults in sight. The teens face challenges as they try to establish order and figure out how to survive. They have no idea when, or even if, help will arrive and if their parents are alive or not. This show combines romance, action, and leaves you questioning what will happen next. 

6. The Good Place

If you’re looking for a show that will make you crack up laughing, this show is for you. When Eleanor Shellstrop finds herself in the “Good Place” after dying on Earth, she is thrilled. However, she quickly figures out there has been a mistake and she is not meant to be there. She decides to continue the lie because she wants to stay but encounters many challenges that are usually hilarious. The “Good Place” has a robot named Janet who was created to maximize happiness for everyone. The creator of the “Good Place”, Michael, tries to improve Janet by making her more knowledgeable and learn colloquial terms/phrases. 

7. Sex Education

After multiple recommendations from my friends to watch this show, I gave it a try. I love this show because each episode teaches about the wide range of sexuality in a comedic way. However, there are many emotional topics that are explored as well due to sexuality or issues in the characters’ lives. I have never watched a show that truly made me laugh one minute and then cry the next as much as this one has. 

Enjoy watching these shows no matter where you are going for the ~extended~ Spring Break. Watch with your friends, family, or just relax on your own!

Callie Walder

Lafayette '22

Lafayette '22