Discover Weekly: 10 Songs to Add to Your Latest Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

I’m guessing I’m not the only one who likes to make new playlists as the seasons change, right? Here is a list of some of the songs I have added to my recent fall playlists! From Pop to R&B to Indie Rock, there is something for everyone!

1.  “Simple Season” by Hippo Campus

Hippo Campus is an up and coming indie rock band formed in 2013. “Simple Season” is from their 2017 debut album, Landmark. Their second album, Bambi, was released on September 28th. If you like Simple Season, definitely check out the new album!

2. “California” by The Lagoons

This song is perfect for reminiscing of summertime. You might enjoy it if you like The XX or Tame Impala. California was the band’s first single, released in 2016. They began touring the West Coast this September which will hopefully help raise their fan base!

3. “Past Lives” by BØRNS

Michigan native singer/songwriter, Garrett Borns, released his first E.P. in 2014. BØRNS quickly gained an impressive following following his 2015 tour with Bleachers and Charli XCX. He performed at Coachella this past spring, but “Past Lives” was not part of his setlist. It is currently his fourth most popular song on Spotify, so luckily it seems to be getting the attention it deserves!

4. “Firefly” by Mura Masa and Nao

I first learned of Mura Masa from his collaboration with A$AP Rocky, “Love$ick”. Firefly is my new go-to when I want to listen to an upbeat EDM song. While it is very rhythmic and unique, it appeals to fans of pop and indie music too!

5. “Awake” by Tycho

When studying, I often get distracted by songs with words. Fans of Petit Biscuit’s “Sunset Lover” might like this song. “Awake” is a great electric pop song that quite literally keeps me awake with its dynamic beat and fast tempo.

6. “&Run” by Sir Sly

You might enjoy this song if you like listening to Foster the People or Cold War Kids. Kurrent Music describes listening the song as an “adrenaline-pumping and endorphin-surging experience,” and I could not agree more.  

7. “Charlie Brown” by Coldplay

In my personal opinion, this is Coldplay’s most underrated song! It is very catchy and always puts me in a good mood. If you ever need a song for a Go-Pro video, “Charlie Brown” would be very fitting.

8. “Chasing Fire- Robin Schulz Remix” by Lauv and Robin Schulz

Lauv burst onto the pop scene this summer with the hit “I Like Me Better” which has been streamed over 500 million times. Chasing Fire is another great pop hit.  I personally love to listen to this song while at the gym.

9. “Dancing in the Rain” by Taylor Bennett and Donnie Trumpet

Dancing in the Rain embodies a carefree nature we should all embrace in life. Taylor Bennett is Chance the Rapper’s younger brother, and he is just as talented! I only discovered him after seeing him perform live at Boston Calling Music Festival! I highly recommend seeing him live if you ever get the chance!

10. “The Light that Never Fails” by Andra Day

Andra Day’s powerful vocals are well known on “Rise Up,” a song she sang at the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. “The Light that Never Fails” is similarly uplifting and moving. If you are having a bad day and need some encouragement, this is the song to listen to!

These songs encompass the many emotions we may feel transitioning to Fall. New music can provide the perfect pick me up on a dreary day, or a nice background to your daily studies. If you share my taste in music and want to listen to all of these songs, here is my playlist!

Katie MacNeil

Lafayette '22

Lover of skiing, dogs, and chocolate.
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette