This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

About now your March funk is probably starting to set in and all you want to do is crawl into your bed. This means it’s time to take advantage of the comedy section on Netflix. Of course, my go to show for laughs is The Office™ or Parks and Recreation, but sometimes you need to spread your horsey wings and learn to fly (bye bye Lil’ Sebastian). By sharing these, I’m exposing where half my jokes come from, but I’m willing to expose myself for your benefit because everyone should watch these.

1. John Mulaney: New In Town

John Mulaney is coming to Easton, PA with Pete Davidson in March and you already KNOW I have my tickets. John Mulaney is a stand up comedian, actor, writer, and producer, making appearances on SNL and Big Mouth. Start your stand up comedy journey with New in Town, then finish with Kid Gorgeous (weird flex but I was at the show they filmed it at). New In Town starts with John talking about the wild people he meets on the streets of NYC and ends with the story of when he tried, and failed, to get a fake xanax prescription from his doctor.

1. Summer Heights High

Once you discover this Australian comedy there is truly no going back… Summer Heights High is written by and stars Chris Lilley, who plays 3 different characters at a public high school. Greg Gregson, infamously known as Mr. G, the “director of performing arts” (a self given title) that writes and stars (yet again) in his own musical about a student who overdoses on ecstasy. The second character is Ja’mie King, a true icon. She is a self-absorbed private school girl doing an exchange program, and she immediately becomes the most popular girl in school. The third character is Jonah Takalua, but he’s honestly irrelevant and has about 3 good lines. This is a bold show but it will get you laughing like nothing else.

1. Ja’mie: Private School Girl

Australian comedians say and do whatever they want, and Chris Lilley proves this in this spin off as Ja’mie King. Whether she is performing dances or giving out Friday detentions, she is ruling the school. The series is about her last 3 months of school and the events that changed her life forever. The series focuses on her attempts to win her schools honor award while trying to grab the attention of a new boy at the neighboring boys private school. Trust me after watching this show you will be talking in her off brand australian accent.

1. Bo Burnham: what.

Bo Burnham’s what. was the first stand up comedy special I watched so color me bias. I was unsure if I would enjoy stand up but once I saw Bo, I watched his comedy special everyday for weeks. I didn’t know musical comedy was a thing but Bo freaking owns it! Half my playlists are filled with his music, so if you see me laughing with my airpods in you know what I’m jamming to. Bo is somehow both introspective yet ridiculously entertaining through songs, poems, and stories. Be ready to both laugh and cry while in your feelings.

1. Arrested Development

This whole show is a series of inside jokes and catch phrases that will get you geeking. Watch this show once and by the end you will be quoting it perfectly. This series is about the formerly wealthy and highly dysfunctional Bluth family trying to continue their affluent lifestyle despite going bankrupt. Arrested Development stars all my favorites, including Michael Cera, Tony Hale, David Cross and Will Arnett. Every recurring character will find a way to be funnier than the last. Simply hilarious and a must watch.

Meghan Lyons

Lafayette '22

Currently working on my twitter game
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette