Broadway is Back: Top 7 Musicals To See ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

If you’re a theater lover like me, you know the past year and a half has felt like an eternity. We’ve missed the lights, live music, the fact that every performance is slightly different, the relationships that feel so real and the magic, joy and escapism that accompany them all. In that spirit, here are 7 musicals I can’t wait to go see and you may want to as well:

1. Wicked—One of my all time favorites, truly a classic (even my Bat Mitzvah theme) and will leave you feeling empowered, strong, and thrilled every time.
  2. Diana—granted, I’ve heard this is a train wreck, but if you can get cheap enough tickets and are as big a fan of the British royal family or The Crown as I am, I bet it would be a very entertaining train wreck!
  3. Company—The most recent revival of a brilliant Stephen Sondheim show that, for the first time, features a woman as the lead in this unique gender-bent production. It may have debuted in 1970 but I believe it still has a lot to say about 2021.
  4. Hamilton—Even if you saw it for the first time on Disney+ like I did, I’ve heard there is just nothing like seeing it live and in person. I’ve streamed it maybe 20 times and this cast recording is the only way I can get myself to drive on the highway, so I’m sure if you see it, it will inspire you just as much.
  5. Six—This show was the hottest ticket in town on the West End and now it is finally coming to New York. If you love history, music, and creative storytelling, it is sure to be a hit in your eyes.
  6. Funny Girl—The iconic and legendary Barbra Stresiand originated the title role of this show decades ago and it is finally back! This time with the extraordinarily talented Beanie Feldstein, truly a must see!
  7. The Devil Wears Prada—To be honest with you, I didn’t know this was a musical until about 30 seconds ago, but seeing as this movie is one of the most quotable, entertaining and funny ones out there, I don’t know how this couldn’t be great!

I’m sure there are plenty of other shows I haven’t thought of, probably enough to last a year, but those are just a few that I am truly chomping at the bit to see! Here’s hoping we’ll be sitting near a stage in no time!

Lisa Green

Lafayette '24

Hi, I'm Lisa and I'm a freshman at Lafayette. I'm interested in theater, politics, cooking and more!