Wellness

An *Updated* Best Vegetarian Food at Lafayette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Since last spring semester, there have been a lot of changes and updates in the Lafayette menu. Being vegetarian on campus is still a bit of a difficult struggle, but as my time at Lafayette continues, I can happily say that I’ve found some staples on campus to keep my nutrition high and my stomach happy! Here is my Spring 2022 list of the best vegetarian options on campus. 

1. Kale Honey Mustard Salad- Gilbert’s

This salad is arguably one of the best food items at Lafayette. As one of Gilbert’s newest additions on the menu after winter break, it is definitely a big hit. It has great roasted chickpeas which add some protein to the salad, and the mix of flavors between the dressing and the vegetables makes it simply amazing. I can say with pride that I order this salad almost every day!

1. Breakfast Sandwich- Gilbert’s

Another Gilbert staple without a doubt. The eggs are a great source of protein, and there is a wide variety of breads to choose from. The tater tots make it even more delicious, and personally I think a bit of hot sauce helps spice it up.

1. Tomato Basil Mozzarella Avocado Toast- Trolley Stop

This is a great option for any time of the day. Sometimes Trolley has it on their mobile order menu, but only once in a blue moon! Otherwise, it’s definitely worth the trip over to Trolley for a sit down meal. The basil vinaigrette over the toast adds an interesting extra flair to your regular avocado toast.

1. Salad Bar/Sandwich Bar- Upper Dining Hall

The salad/sandwich bar at Upper has become one of my go to spots on a night when I’m not sure what else to eat. The salad bar has a variety of vegetables and sources of protein, such as chickpeas and tofu. As a lover of salad, I enjoy having the option to make my own salad every night with whatever I like mixed in. And although the sandwich station has mostly meats, there are some roasted vegetables like zucchini and eggplant that you can add to your meal to make it vegetarian friendly! 

1. Jumpin Monkey or Hunky Monkey Smoothie- Mojo 

This smoothie is one of my favorites at Mojo. You can get the smoothie without protein powder which is the Jumpin Monkey, or with protein which is the Hunky Monkey. If you love peanut butter and chocolate, this smoothie is for you!

1. Buffalo Cauliflower Bake- Marquis Dining Hall

Although I haven’t had this dish too many times, this vegetarian option at Marquis was one of the best I’ve had. If you like spicy dishes and cauliflower, I definitely recommend checking to see if Marquis has it on your next trip there.

1. Oatmeal- Gilberts

This staple is great for a simple breakfast in between classes. Gilbert’s has a handful of toppings and options to mix in with your oatmeal to add some flavor! If you want it, though, make sure to order it in the morning, as they take it off the menu in the afternoon. 

1. Farmer Omelet- Trolley Stop 

This omelet is a great option if you’re craving some breakfast food and a filling meal! Not only is it a great source of protein, but it’s almost always on the mobile order app. You can get it with a variety of sides as well. 

I hope you enjoy this new updated list of my vegetarian favorites on campus for Spring of 2022!

Allie Blechman

Lafayette '24

First year at Lafayette!