This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Enjoying the heatwave before the start of fall? I know I am. Don’t get me wrong, autumn is hands down the best season. Red and orange leaves, apple cider, pumpkin carving, endless Pinterest boards of potential Halloween costumes…  But the changing of the seasons makes me nostalgic for just a few weeks ago when campus was empty and the beaches were full. So here are the 5 songs helping me keep the summer energy around until the leaves start to fall:

Solar Power – Lorde

Lorde disappeared from the face of the Earth for four years and came back with an album that can only be described as the antithesis to Melodrama- our girl is happy, healthy, and prettier than Jesus (apparently). Solar power is light, gleeful, and radiant as it perfectly describes that feeling you get mid-summer when nothing matters except for how gorgeous it feels to enjoy seemingly endless days in the sun with your friends. This one definitely requires dancing on the quad in the sunshine!

Summer Girl – HAIM

Sister-band HAIM released their third studio album Women in Music Pt. III, but the bonus track Summer Girl was originally released as a single in 2019. It’s jazzy and mellow with hidden odes to Los Angeles throughout. It’s an instant mood pick-me-up for the walk to class.

Peach – Kevin Abstract

Peach is upbeat and smooth with an airy pre-chorus provided by Bearface and Joba, with Dominik Fike also featuring on the song. Kevin Abstract pleads for a love like ‘peaches and cream” in this sunny song off his hit album Arizona Baby. This is one of my go-to songs for getting ready in the morning and setting the vibe for the day.

MICHUUL. – Duckwrth

This song is definitely one of my favorites right now. Off Duckwrth’s 2017 album, an XTRA UUGLY Mixtape, MICHUUL. is a 90s esque party tune punctuated by synth hits and simple guitar riffs, all connected by chill piano in the background. It’s groovy with a great backbeat that’s perfect for chilling or dancing to on a break in between classes. 

June, After Dark- Elliot Root

This song makes me want to go stargazing with my best friends or slow dance in the street. June, After Dark is a song off Elliot Root’s 4 track release Thoughts From Yesterday. The electric guitar adds a melancholic tone to this hopeful song reminiscing on love and hoping for another summer with someone wonderful. The lyrics, like the song itself, are genius in their simplicity– because all a song really needs are strong drums, a great piano melody, and beautiful lyrics. Like Lorde, this band hasn’t released an album since 2017, but just released 2 new singles this year so be on the lookout for more from this alt-rock group.

Sophie Himmel

Lafayette '24

Sophie is a first year Government and Law major at Lafayette College. She is interested in social justice, sustainability, and writing. Her hobbies include arts and crafts, reading, and watching tik toks.