This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

It’s been a month since most of us returned home, and we’re still learning to adapt to our quarantine lifestyle from the bustling one we left behind on campus. The sudden lack of independence, routine, in-person contact with friends, and a normal sleep schedule has disrupted the daily structure so many of us rely on, and I’ve found myself becoming bored and restless very quickly. 

To avoid listlessly scrolling through TikTok and Instagram for hours, I have picked up reading again. I almost forgot how much of a relief it is to lose yourself in a good book, and this brief but much-needed escape has made it less daunting to cope with the onslaught of news and worries amid the pandemic.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite books — in no particular ranking — that are great for escaping reality and passing time during quarantine. By the way, Libby is a fantastic app for eBooks, since many libraries are closed right now.

1. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Genre(s): fiction, mystery, romance-ish

Synopsis: Disclaimer – I know I said I wasn’t going to rank these, but I had to put my favorite novel first. We Were Liars is a poignant and subtly suspenseful story about the generations of seemingly perfect, wealthy Sinclairs that spend their summers on a private island near Cape Cod. However, as each summer passes, rising tensions, greed, and jealousy surface, threatening to destroy the fragile facade of their idyllic island lives. The protagonist, Cadence, her cousins, and friend Gat fill their days with mischief and adventure, but during her fifteenth summer, a devastating accident debilitates Cadence and robs her of any memory surrounding the event. Even as she tries to understand what went so wrong, her family is unwilling to help her. But once she finally pieces it all together, she realizes that everything she knew was a lie.

Lockhart’s intricate characterization and clever incorporation of relevant societal issues pushed the novel beyond being just another book about a wealthy family with pride issues. But, its plot-twist was so shocking, yet crushingly beautiful that even two years after picking it up for the first time, I don’t think I’ve fully come to terms with it. No matter what you do, do NOT spoil the ending for anyone else.

Amazon link: here.

If you like We Were Liars, check out Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (another one of my absolute favorites; also, the book is infinitely better than the show!)

2. I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika Sánchez

Genre(s): YA fiction

Synopsis: I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter was one of the most impactful, brilliant, and eye-opening novels I have read. It’s told from the perspective of fifteen-year-old Julia, a bright, brash first-gen Mexican teen living in a gritty part of Chicago. She dreams of escaping this life by going away to college, but her outspoken personality juxtaposes that of her “perfect,” reserved sister, Olga, which causes frequent discord between her and her parents. When Olga is killed in an accident, what remains of Julia’s turbulent relationship with her parents is obliterated, and she grapples with an unnerving discovery that reveals Olga was not who they thought she was. This leads Julia down an intense, chaotic journey as she slowly uncovers her sister’s secrets, navigates new relationships, aspires to reach her dreams of college, and reconciles with her family’s past, which was far more complicated than she could have imagined. 

Sánchez’s work is raw and unflinching in its detailing of the realities that Julia faces, not only in terms of her gender, race, and socioeconomic status, but also as a rebellious teenager struggling with self-esteem, body issues, academics, boys, and misunderstanding parents. It shamelessly confronts difficult topics and puts your own life into perspective relative to Julia’s — but not for the sake of pitying her. Admittedly, this was uncomfortable at times, as I realized the extent to which many of us take things for granted, but it also made me reevaluate my approach to life and people. It was initially a tad slow, but it picked up pace, and the multitude of experiences you witness through Julia’s eyes is invaluable.

Amazon link: here.

3. All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin

Genre(s): novel

Synopsis: Giffin examines the extensive aftermath of when an entitled Princeton-bound senior takes and shares an explicit, racially-charged picture of an intoxicated minor. The story follows the events leading up to and years after Finch Browning’s school-board trial, which has implications far beyond jeopardizing his college plans. It’s narrated by his horrified mother, Nina; his victim, Lyla, who attends the same academy but on scholarship; and Lyla’s outraged, protective father, Tom, who has tirelessly raised her on his own. 

All We Ever Wanted thoroughly scrutinizes how sexual harassment and assault are intertwined with entitlement, along with how the blame and stigma surrounding sexual violence affects survivors, perpetrators, and their loved ones. It enunciates important messages regarding these sensitive but extremely relevant topics and is certainly a worthy read.

Amazon link: here.

If you like this novel, check out The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney. It’s about the comically dysfunctional Plumb family and their struggles to acquire their long-awaited trust fund (it’s also one of my favorites, but my synopsis would be excessively long).

4. Love and Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch

Genre(s): YA fiction, romance

Synopsis: As someone who doesn’t particularly love the romance genre, this book surprised me. After the untimely death of her mother, Lina moves to Italy to spend a summer with her father (who she’s never met). She is also left with her mother’s journals that detailed her own experiences in Italy as an art student, including secret romances and picturesque, charming adventures throughout the cities. However, Lina realizes that something is amiss about her mother’s writing, and she becomes determined to understand these discrepancies. At the same time, Lina befriends an endearing boy named Lorenzo, who helps acclimate her to the locals and gives her tours of Italy. Their romance might seem inevitable, but there’s no shortage of challenges that come between them as Lina delves into her mother’s past and eventually comes to an unexpected revelation.

Honestly, as much as I adored the characters, I fell in love with Welch’s descriptions of the Italian scenery more. They were breathtakingly detailed and made you want to immediately book a flight to Italy if it wasn’t for the ever-looming pandemic. Also, I really enjoyed looking up pictures of the places Lina visited, as it made her adventures all the more tantalizing and enviable. 

Amazon link: here.

5. One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Genre(s): YA fiction, mystery, thriller

Synopsis: One of Us Is Lying puts a modern, deadly twist on The Breakfast Club. Five high schoolers enter detention, but only four leave alive: the brain, the beauty, the criminal, and the athlete. Investigators determine that the death of the outcast, Simon, was not accidental; however, they incriminate the others only after they discover Simon was going to spill those students’ deepest, most personal secrets. The survivors are left to defend their reputations and post-grad futures against the police, media, and fellow students. With each passing day, new alliances, romances, and friendships are formed and broken, and the four students soon learn that each will stop at nothing to maintain his/her innocence. As suspicion surmounts from the community and within the group itself, it threatens to upend their lives completely.

Amazon link: here.

If you enjoy One of Us Is Lying, check out the gripping psychological thriller, The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.

Currently in progress:

Educated by Tara Westover

Genre(s): memoir, non-fiction

It’s hard to truly give an all-encompassing overview of this memoir, as Westover’s story is so brilliant, multi-faceted, captivating, and astoundingly inspiring. I highly encourage you to read this synopsis from the author herself.

I hope you enjoy these reads and stay as safe, healthy, and entertained as possible!

Analisa Coppa

Lafayette '23

Long Island Native | Neuro major but writing lover at heart
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College