This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Feminism can be a touchy subject. There is a fine line between those who support it and those who do not; the ideology has sparked debates since it was introduced. Today, the conversation surrounding feminism has expanded farther into the limelight thanks to the increase of awareness on the subject. Women are progressively self-identifying as feminists and even becoming activists across college campuses; they are creating groups and clubs that are devoted to helping and creating opportunities for women both locally and internationally. From the “free the nipple” campaign to supporting rape and domestic abuse survivors in the third world, women everywhere are coming together to create a brighter future in order to reach equality.

However –  like any other political stance – many feminist activists face scrutiny based on their alleged “exclusion” from other groups. Being that there is a stigma behind being a “feminist”, the debate makes some women feel the need to keep it to themselves so as not to be viewed as “sexist”, “angry”, or any other negative connotations that are often associated with feminists and feminist ideology.

Women who proclaim their feminism to men – usually in a conversation about the topic – are expected to stay calm and collected while they explain why they could possibly dare to call out and fight against patriarchal oppression. When discussing any sexist experiences that they’ve had or the oppression they face on a daily basis, they are often challenged by being told that they are plain wrong – that they’re taking their experiences out of context and transforming them into perceived oppression in their heads. Sometimes, the reaction is more volatile than others – suggesting that there is a problem and that a change needs to be made which generate an aggressive response; people may become hostile when they feel that, by supporting women, feminists are oppressing men. It creates a fear in many women; fear that being a women is wrong, that their problems are lesser than they are, or that their opinions are unsafe to express.

There are many women who are completely unable to publicly express their opinions; women and girls who are devalued, abused, or societally oppressed that it would be extremely unsafe to proclaim their equality. To these women – the girls who aren’t allowed to go to school, sex workers, women in the third world, women in abusive relationships, etc. — equality seems like a far off dream. It is so important that those who have the right to express their opinions stand up for those who can’t.

Openly and bluntly discussing problems exclusive to women in any public forum can be daunting because it’s just not part of the status quo yet. However, that fear can transform into something beautiful; by speaking your mind and taking a strong stance, you are aiding the progressive change into a more equal society. The more we speak on and educate others about these problems, the more likely these changes are to come. So, educate yourself and speak on the issues that matter to you the most. If you have time, volunteer with a group that works to improve women’s lives. In order to find equality, women have to be there to support and improve the lives of other women.

Being a feminist is far more than just believing in your own equality; it is believing in and fighting for those who are unable to do so themselves. Any woman who has more privilege than most has a responsibility to make feminist ideology far more commonplace. Even those who are less privileged, but still live in a highly developed country, have a responsibility to do so when they feel safe enough to. Flaunting feminism is important because unless these women take a stand and create an international dialogue, nothing will change. It won’t happen immediately, but increasing public exposure and conversation on issues like rape, wage gap, and intersectionality will allow more people to learn about feminism for themselves. So flaunt your feminism just because you actually have the opportunity to.