photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Why We Can’t Skip Out on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

We cannot skip out on Thanksgiving just because the Holiday season is coming soon. I’m sorry but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I believe is should not be ignored and I’m going to tell you why!

The Food

Thanksgiving is literally known for having the best food ever. You could look up tons of recipes for stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauces, macaroni and cheese, and the endless options for pie. I love when I walk into the kitchen and I can smell the turkey baking in the oven. My favorite thanksgiving dish is my mom’s homemade mashed potatoes with stuffing and gravy. It still shocks me that some people make box mashed potatoes because I grew up with homemade mashed potatoes, and trust me, you can tell the difference. Whatever your favorite dish is, I believe good food can bring people together to enjoy it and each other.

Your Family and Friends

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the things and people you have and spend with the people who care about you. This is the main reason why I love Thanksgiving. I love the chance for my family to come together and just enjoy our time. Most of the kids in my family have started college so it’s hard to make plans to see each other, and Thanksgiving provides the perfect opportunity to be together and just enjoy the moment. We are living in such a fast-paced society these days, it’s healthy to take a break and be with the people you love, and for many, this includes friends as well. Some of people aren’t as lucky as others to get a family to go home to, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t people to spend this time with. Thanksgiving is about being with people you love and people who love you.

It’s a Holiday

One of the best things about Thanksgiving, much like other holidays, it’s a chance for everyone to take a break. Whether it be from school or work or whatever it is you do, Thanksgiving is a chance to take a break and relax for a couple of days. It’s a great chance to de-stress before finals come in December! On thanksgiving, you get a chance to eat great food and relax with your loved ones. On Friday, you can go black Friday shopping or just relax even more and eat leftovers and then get ready for all the winter holidays to come! I love to watch movies with my family and that’s a tradition we have on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We relax, stay in our pajama’s all day, and eat Thanksgiving leftovers. I am thankful to spend time with my family and take a break from my responsibilities.  

Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday and I hope I shared with you some valid reasons as to why you should enjoy Thanksgiving too. 

Until next time my queens!

Hi! I'm Gabi and I am a sophomore Sociology student at the University of La Verne. Currently my career goal is become a social worker or become a director of a non-profit organization. Helping people, especially children, has been a growing passion of mine and that inspired me to choose these career goals. Outside of school, I am a lover of books and cats. :)