This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

What most of us know about sororities all comes from movies and TV shows, which is almost completely wrong for the sororities on the La Verne campus.

I admit that I bought into the stereotypes at first. But let’s face it, media doesn’t portray sororities in all that positive of a light. They are just glorified party girls: a preppy and cheerleading clique full of catty girls who’d rather do their hair or sleep with some frat guy than actually get an education. If you even think about joining a sorority you have to think about the humiliating hazing that you would have to go through or worry about the girls not finding you pretty or interesting or too weird. People sneer when you pay dues to be in the sorority, “You’re just buying sisters/friends.”

The collegiate version of the Plastics from Mean Girls.

It’s a harsh perspective. I bought into this view of sorority girls for most of my freshman year of college.

I had a change of heart though this year. I started going to events held by the sororities on campus whether they were handing out free popsicles, rock paintings, or if they simply had a table near the Campus Center and offered information. I started to follow all the sororities on instagram because I might as well see what they’re about. Most importantly, I started to actually talk to the sorority girls.

That was probably the best decision I made. At these events, these girls women were all engaging and charming and surprisingly enough– human, just like me. Sure some women did like to party but hey, they kind of deserve to party if they had just aced their biology midterm or turned in a 15 page psychology paper, and sure some girls Sure some women did wear a full-face of makeup everyday but they could also recite obscure theories alongside their Sephora wishlist. Some sisters might be rolling in dough or have 2 jobs or run their own business. They’re philanthropists with each sorority tackling an issue, for example: Alpha Omicron Pi focuses on juvenile arthritis as their philanthropy. Some go to the club, some would rather curl up with a good book, and some do both because why not. And all sisters are against hazing (it’s law).

Sorority sisters aren’t contradictions however. They’re complex, they’re human, they’re like any other woman you’ve met except for the fact that they chose to enter in a sisterhood that will last past their collegiate years. 

So it’s about time we stop putting them in a stereotypical box. I changed my perspective and guess what I did? I officially joined a sorority.

I’m now an Alpha Omicron Pi sister.

I’m ready to be a part of something that’s bigger than just a Facebook group or a club. It’s a way to have fun, it’s a support system, it’s a way to be connected to women that regardless of their unique interests and backgrounds you’re bonded through this sorority. You would think after growing up with several blood-related sisters and cousins I would have had enough of it but I guess not. Yes, I have to pay dues but it’s not “buying friends”. I’m pretty sure that’s the last thing the money I pay goes toward because it actually goes toward supplies, fees, catering expenses, merchandise, etc.

Take the stereotypes with a grain of salt and expand your horizons. Join a sorority (or fraternity for any guys reading this), make friends/have sisters that’ll last a lifetime.

AOII for life.