What I’ve Learned So Far: Studying Abroad in England Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

I knew it would be a bit easier to travel through Europe once I got there, but it never registered exactly how easy it is to plan trips to other countries (and on a budget too). Since arriving in England, I have been planning trips — from day trips to week-long stays — and it only takes a few short hours to put together.

I planned a trip to Madrid, Spain, with a friend two weeks before we left. The total cost of the trip was under $500 for five days! This included airfare, many busses, a metro pass, lots of delicious food and the hostel. The trip turned out to be an amazing experience and worth ever cent and second spent planning. Fingers crossed the same happens for my upcoming trip to Rome, Italy (again, all under $500)!

The following are a few helpful tips if you are planning a trip to Europe (or anywhere):

•   rome2rio.com: This website is user-friendly and helps when trying to figure out transportation. You simply put in your starting and ending locations, hit enter, and a list of ways to get there (and the prices) pops up. The site also gives a map and links to all of the websites you would need for busses, trains, airplanes or taxis.

•   Google Flights: Google makes life easy, yet again. Simply type in the city you’re flying from and to, input departure and return dates, and voila! It pulls up the cheapest flights from a variety of airlines. It also shows departure times, price fluctuations, and you can set specific filters to fit your flight needs.

•   hostelworld.com: If you’re looking for a hostel to stay in, check out Hostelworld. They show a variety of places to stay around the world and include reviews, rates, directions and facilities. Any hostel with a rating above 80 percent is good, so stick to those. Anything lower and you are entering sketchy territory. Also remember to check the location. You may find one at a great price with good reviews, but it may be farther away from the center of where you want to stay.

•   Check Luggage Requirements: Cheap airlines like Ryanair are very strict when it comes to luggage, so if you bring a carry-on that is one inch to big, you will have to check it in at a $100 fee. So before leaving check size and weight requirements, and measure your bag before leaving for your trip.

•   Know How Youre Getting There: To avoid getting lost in a country that speaks a different language, know what kind of transportation you are taking to get from the airport to the hostel or anywhere else you plan to go. Europe is full of metro stations and busses, just know which line takes you to your destination.

Hayley Hulin is a junior journalism major at the University of La Verne, but is taking her studies abroad this fall semester to rainy England. While she isn't studying, Hayley will be writing for her university blog, HC and Darling Magazine about traveling, experiencing new things and eating great food! Once finished with her fall adventure, Hayley is excited to reunite with her Phi Sigma Sigma sisters, Renew Christian Club and family.