ULV Journalism Major Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

We’re a small group, but a powerful one. Most of us spend up to 12 hours a day in ACB 118, unknown to the rest of the ACB family, but when we emerge from our cave, we emerge fearless, hyped, usually with a notebook in one hand and a pen in another, ready to take over the world (or, ready to interview a source. But it’s practically the same thing). However, being a journalism major at the University of La Verne, you can run into a few inevitable problems that really make your experience here like no other.

1. Finding news in La Verne is tough. Small city problems. Time to move on to the next town over. Pomona? Too crazy to keep up. San Dimas? Slightly sleepy. Claremont? Just right, with just enough weird student art exhibitions. 

2. Seeing that cute student you just interviewed around campus and not knowing whether to say hi. Yes, you gave me your number, but I will not text you. That’s unprofessional. I am a serious journalist. 

3. Wanting so badly to be taken seriously by administrators. But, you know, you’re still a student who still makes mistakes.

4. Grammar and syntax is not only a class — it becomes a way of life. You get a little too heated during in-class grammar games. You start diagramming every recieved text message in your head. You start correcting bad grammar on Yik Yak posts. 

5. ACB 118, or the newsroom, becomes a comfortable, familiar place. Whether you only visit to print or are comfortable enough to take a nap in there between classes, you can always rely on the newsroom to be your new safe space.

6. “What’s the password for Journalism Lab again?” Because the password for the newsroom’s computers changes, like, every week. 

7. The first week of Campus Times is always intimidating. And then you accidentally sit in the Editor-in-Chief’s reserved spot at the table. But you learn. Oh, you learn.

8. Trying to get into La Verne Magazine is like the Hunger Games. 500 units, a billion semesters of Campus Times and 20 graduated PR majors later, you finally earn a coveted spot. 

9. Wanting to leave that photo staff requirement to the last possible second. But you know you’re gonna have to suck it up and dust off that Nikon you haven’t touched since Doc Photo. You need to develop skills other than good writing anyway. 

10. You don’t know whether to envy or shake your head at those people who got away with not taking that photo staff requirement. Lucky! But that’s one less thing on  their resumes. 

11. Fact checking a person usually turns into a stalking spree. Next thing you know, you’re 28 weeks deep into their Instagram, when you really should’ve been checking the spelling of their name. 

12. You know students way more than they know themselves. I remember your full name, major, year and why you decided to attend this faculty lecture. And I will remember until I graduate. 

So, that’s a list of our problems. What are your major’s problems?

Reach Kristina Bugante at kristina.bugante@laverne.edu

Kristina Bugante is the Campus Correspondent for HC La Verne. She is currently finishing her final year at the University of La Verne and will receive a B.A. in journalism in the spring of 2016. In addition to Her Campus, Kristina is a staff photographer for her school's publications and a news intern for a Los Angeles television news station. When she's not living and breathing journalism, Kristina likes funny Vines, food, catching up on her YouTube subscriptions and singing quietly to herself in her car.