Top 5 Sci-Fi Horror Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

In honor of the never-dying, perhaps always continuing “Alien” Franchise with its 6th film coming out, it’d be a crime to not look at some of the greatest elements of sci-fi in the horror sub-genre. Here are my top 5 sci-fi horror flicks that you must be sure to check out. 

#5:

Under the Skin (2013)

Jonathan Glazer gives us a different, retro, and haunting look of Alien life on Earth. The opening sequence in its context is brutal and haunting and what follows is a deep study in the contextualization of humanity and the confontation of the things we don’t understand. It makes the audience think of whether or not human nature or the life forms we encounter are the true evil of society. With bizarre imagery and gorgeous cinematography, Under the Skin will be in time a cult-classic that feels ahead of its time.

#4 

The Faculty (1998)

There’s nothing better than 90’s sci-fi teenager horror flick cheese. The Faculty is a straight-forward teen flick with sci-fi elements when a small town in Ohio is subject to an alien invasion that begins its way through the school faculty that spreads to the students. It’s up six students, including 90’s heart throb Josh Hartnett and the always young-looking Elijah Wood to save their town from this dangerous extra-terrestrial epidemic. The film is equal parts funny, exciting, and clever, knowing full well that its concept is silly, which makes it a hidden gem-classic. Not to mention this was vintage Robert Rodriguez before he started doing those damn Spy Kids flicks. 

# 3 

The Thing (1982)

John Carpenter’s 1982 masterpiece is strongly considered his best and for good reason. It’s beyond just a gross-out sci-fi flick with amazing practical effects. It’s a film that makes you invested in the unfortunate men who run into an unfortunate nightmare scenario. The setting is simple but perfect for the feeling of pure isolation and dread. The inescapeable feeling and environment adds on to a movie creature that is unique and terrifying already in concept and is even scarier once seen in its full potential of power. The Thing is a must-watch.

#2

Alien (1979)

Alien is a film that holds up today in its production value, visual effects, characterization and pure thrills in its slow-burn buildup to an epic and memorable final two acts. The creature itself is a discovery to behold and the isolation and scenario of individuals trapped on a spacecraft with no where to hide is executed to perfection. Sigourney Weaver is a revelation as Ripley as she becomes an inspiring protagonist and the supporting cast is superb as well adding as much realism to every scene as they possibly can. Alien is a masterpiece and still the best Alien film to date.

#1 

They Live (1988)

What’s better than Ridley Scott’s Alien you ask? How about John Carpenter’s sci-fi horror comedy They Live? A film that is still relevant today as it was in 1988, this film is considered a realistic horror film despite the concept of a man who sees the real corrupt world through a pair of shades. And still the themes of capitalism and socialism as well as propganda is beautifully done and relevant in its message.

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com