Things Obama Accomplished as President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

As we all know, Obama’s tenure as President of the United States is soon coming to a close. The past eight years have been a rollercoaster not just for politics, but the world in general. And although, Barack Obama wasn’t perfect and maybe have made some questionable decisions here and there, we have to realize the power of the government goes beyond just the president’s control. The things that he may have been blamed for may not have been his entire fault at all. But that’s another thing about politics. Not every view is perfect, not every view is right. But it’s our freedom to choose what’s right that gives democracy and individuals that power to agree or disagree with their government. But instead of focusing on what he could’ve done better, let’s look at some of the things he did right to try to move our country in the right direction.

#1: Since he took office, the unemployment rate has gone down:

Since 2010 up to 2016, the unemployment rate dropped from about 10 percent to 5 percent. That’s hundred of thousands of job opportunities that have increased as a result of increased manufacturing job growth. 

#2: Sent Troops Home, Ended the War in Iraq, and Eliminated Osama Bin Laden:

One of Barack’s biggest campaign promises was that he was going to find a way to withdraw troops and send them home from Afghanistan. And he has effectively done so. Thousands of troops got to go home, and all military forces were forced to deploy out. Not only that but during his term, Osama Bin Laden was found and assinated, leading to the end of the biggest manhunt in U.S History. 

#3: Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and Fought for LGBT Rights

One of the most important things Obama did for our country was his fight for LGBT rights and same sex marriage, which would eventually become legal in all 50 states. Not only that, but his repeal of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy allowed openly gay men and women to serve in the military.

#4: Investments in Renewable Energy:

Obama has invested billions into renewable energy and and clean energy sources, providing a safer and cleaner environment. 

Other Accomplishments:

As President of the United States, Obama has also created universal health coverage that has helped insured over 32 million americans, passed a stimulus that would help create millions of new jobs, and re-regulated the financial sector of Wall Street after the 2009 recession, keeping a closer eye on banks and businesses. 

Obama wasn’t a perfect president. But there never was a perfect president. History shows us that no matter how much the president will try to do, there’s always going to be people on the other side of the coin who won’t agree or support them. But for the past 8 years, Obama has tried to lead this nation as best as he could during the toughest of times. And for that, he has my respect, and we should all respect him for his efforts. Thank you, Barack Obama. 

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com