This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

I never truly appreciated Spring Break before college, and boy did I miss out on a lot. There really wasn’t much I could do during Spring Break when I was younger, so I didn’t expect much from the first Spring Break of my college career. Unlike most college students, I did not leave the country nor did I leave the state — I didn’t even leave my hometown during break, but I definitely still had fun compared to all the other Spring Breaks I’ve had.

THEN:

1. Massive loads of homework

Who in their right mind came up with the concept of giving homework over Spring Break? IT. IS. A. BREAK. FROM. SCHOOL. I never really felt like I was taking a break from school because I had the constant threat of homework looming over my head. Obviously I didn’t do the work until the last day of break like everyone else, but it still put a damper on my mood.

2. Babysitting duty

Having a sibling is cool because you’re not alone, but it is also sucks because you’re always together. My sister has the same Spring Break as I do because we were in the same school district, and so I got stuck with babysitting duty. All of the adults in my house have work, so naturally the care taking role falls on me. I don’t think I ever had a break to myself since she started going to school too. 

3. Not allowed to go out

Because I’m stuck babysitting, my parents wouldn’t let me hang out with my friends. It made sense when I wasn’t able to drive, but I was really frustrated that I never got to be like everyone else spending time with their friends outside of school. It was always “do your chores, take care of your sister” all the time and I felt more of a parent than a high schooler during breaks.

NOW:

1. Not much homework

I only had one assignment to do for one class throughout the entire break, which I finished in one sitting. I had all the time to myself, which really let me enjoy not being at school the whole week.

2. Unique break time

I didn’t have the same break as my sister, which was AMAZING. I got to go out while she was still in school, and I just had to pick her up at a certain time. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the same break as a lot of my friends from other universities so I didn’t get to see them.

3. Adventure time

Even though I didn’t see most of my friends during break, I was able to spend time with those who stayed local. After they finished their classes at the community college, I would pick them up and we would go on adventures around town (I even tried going to the beach once but the fog rolled in and killed the vibe).

4. True relaxation

Although I had to wake up early for some appointments and meetings (that made me sound totally adult), I was able to enjoy my break and take my time with everything. I was able to spend time with my friends while keeping my parents happy by picking up my sister and doing the house chores, and everything worked out for the best.

One week was definitely NOT long enough for a break, and I really dread going back to class after having a week of doing what I want whenever I wanted to. Now all my professors are excited to pile on the assignments as a “welcome back,” and I am SO not ready for that.

Much like the Disney character, I don't let society define who I am & I always do what I think is right. Communications/Public Relations major, Class of 2019 at the University of La Verne. I aspire to learn from the best to better serve the world we live in by creating clear messages for the public.