Predicting the Golden Globes Movie Winners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

The Golden Globes celebrate the best of the best when it comes to film and television. The Winners are chosen by The Foreign Associated Press. The ceremony is usually lighter than the oscars, making the atmosphere more fun and less serious. Although I am one that loves television, I wanna focus on predicting which actors and filmakers will take home the globes for their achievement on the big screen. The golden globes, as well as the Screen Actors Guild, are a huge indication of who will be nominated for the biggest award of all, the Academy Award. So let’s go over who SHOULD and who WILL at the Golden Globes.

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture Nominees:

Mahershala Ali – Moonlight 

Jeff Bridges – Hell or Highwater

Simon Helberg – Florence Foster Jenkins

Dev Patel – Lion

Aaron-Taylor Johnson – Nocturnal Animals

Who Should Win : Dev Patel – Lion: In a year with strong performances, Patel stood out as a man who was endlessly searching for the family he lost for 25 years. His performance is heart-wrenching as it is passionate and determined and Patel creates and emotionally investing character that is actually based on a real person. 

Who Will Win : Mahershala Ali – Moonlight : Ali as Juan, the drug dealer and father figure to Chiron, the Protagonist in Moonlight, has so much subtlety and layer to his performance. He is essentially a criminal, but his life and his care for Chiron changes him into a man who is pained by his decisions and profession as he is responsible for Chiron’s mother’s crack addiction. His final scene in the film is what lifts him to award potential, his silence and breakdown as haunting as any performance seen in 2016. 

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture Nominees:

Viola Davis – Fences

Naomie Harris – Moonlight

Nicole Kidman – Lion

Octavia Spencer – Hidden Figures

Michelle Williams – Manchester by the Sea

Who Should and Will Win: Viola Davis – Fences: Viola Davis proved once again that she’s one of the best actresses working today.Her pure raw emotion and ability to counterbalance a character who is both in pain and in denial while trying to maintain consciousness and happiness is truly spellbounding to see. In a film like Fences where the dialogue drives the whole movie, Viola drove her performance all the way to multiple award consideration and wins. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture Comedy or Musica; Nominees:

Annette Bening – 20th Century Women

Lily Collins – No Rules Apply

Hailee Steinfeld – Edge of Seventeen

Emma Stone – La La Land

Meryl Streep – Florence Foster Jenkins

Who Should and Will Win : Emma Stone – La La Land : As the film went on, her performance became more and more powerful. Stone’s turn as an aspiring actress brings out the dreams in all of us, and her ability to be well-rounded in her singing and acting and dancing is a treasure to witness. Her final performance depicting an audition singing monologue is what sells her already amazing performance. 

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com