This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Universal Studios Hollywood hosts a Halloween event annually known as Halloween Horror Nights. Halloween Horror Nights is made up of mazes (essentially just haunted houses), a terror tram, and scare actors. This year, there were 8 mazes to wander through and get spooked. Some of the more popular ones were The Purge, Stranger Things, Poltergeist, and of course Michael Myers in his return for Halloween 4. There were also three attractions that remained open while the event was going on. But, they unfortunately closed off Hogsmeade and Hogwarts (boo, literally). 

All of these mazes contained the same elements. Each maze was composed of pop-ups, terrifying scenes, fake dead people, creepy music, screaming, and actors who came for you, but didn’t really come for you. You would think they would, but they can’t/aren’t allowed to touch you. Which I knew, but for some reason every time they popped up to grab me I always screamed thinking they would actually kill me. My favorite maze was the Halloween 4 maze, because if it ain’t Michael Myers I don’t want it. There were at least 5 different Michaels’ coming for you and it was terrifying. When entering and exiting the park, you’re greeted by being chased by people with fake chainsaws and people on tall walking sticks. The entire park was filled with scare actors and you weren’t safe anywhere except on the escalators heading down to the lower level. 

The terror tram was the one attraction I didn’t walk through. (It is considered a MUST see attraction) I literally saw it and just went back to the park. The moment you step out of the tram there were people dressed as clowns coming up to you and scaring you. I personally hate clowns and I refused to be approached by dozens in a span of 3 minutes, which actually sounds like a nightmare. My boyfriend really wanted to go and I felt bad because I chickened out, but he was understanding and took me to see the Jabbawockeez show. Jabbawockeez are famously known for being champions of the first season of America’s Best Dance Crew. They were amazing needless to say. I was excited because I had seen them on the first season and now I had the chance to see them live and performing, which was a memorable experience. 

I don’t want to give away what was inside the mazes because if you are planning to go, I don’t want to spoil it! Overall, the experience was fun and scary. It was soothing to know there were Universal employees every couple of sections within each maze. We all know the actors aren’t really monsters trying to come for you. It’s crazy knowing it’s just special effects making this all happen! I would definitely go again in the future years. I didn’t even know I would be going this time around, but my boyfriend decided to come down and surprise me with tickets. But, I’m glad we got to experience our first spooky date and get scared together; the bond and experience was completely worth it!

Citlally Grande

La Verne '22

18, San Francisco, Freshman @ ULV, obsessed with my dog