My First Semester at ULV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

As I walked out of my last final, the cold, fresh air hitting my face, the auburn, wet, leaves strewn across the floor, I am elated to finalize the semester. This was my first semester here at ULV, and planting my feet into this soil was truly an experience. As a transfer student, it’s hard to habituate to this new campus lifestyle. Many people have established relationships and cliques, are involved in the campus life, or are familiar with many staff and professors. Starting anything new has its fair share of struggles and adjustments, but I couldn’t be happier with my decision to attend ULV. At orientation, the overwhelming advice I received from students here, “embed yourself into the campus life.” And I did just that- I joined a couple of clubs (shout out to Her Campus and Transfer Club), I got to know some awesome people in my classes, I utilized campus resources, and participated in a mentorship opportunity.

The atmosphere here is amazingly friendly, I was shocked at how many smiles you would get simply walking through campus. Everyone here is extremely helpful, offering to help a lost girl find her first class, or recommended food to try at Barbara’s. The community here is extremely tight knit, everywhere you go, there’s someone you know. The professors are caring and truly are interested in your education (well, most of them). The professors really make it a point to get to know you, know your name, give you kudos on your writing skills, or even ask your aspirations. There’s nothing more reassuring than knowing your professor’s interest in you is authentic, not just “let’s get this semester over with” demeanor.

Additionally, the University has some great resources for their students. I’ve frequented myself at the Career Services. I got hooked up with a resume, cover letter, and some helpful ways and connections to network and seek possible mentors. If you haven’t been there yet, please go, there’s something there for everyone. They really know how to help you see which direction you want to take your life and what steps you need to make sure you get there.

My favorite part about the semester was getting all the free stuff in the beginning; club fair, Homecoming, California shakeout, etc. Free goes a long way, considering the amount of tuition we are paying.

The University does a lot to ensure that every student has the opportunities to succeed. And it’s these opportunities, the experiences I’ve taken from them, the people I’ve met, and the friendships I’ve made, what makes me proud to end the semester strong, as a Leo.