This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Growing up, Las Posadas was one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.

Las Posadas is a Latinx celebration in commemoration to Joseph and Mary’s journey to Bethlehem in search for a safe refuge in anticipation of Jesus’s birth. It is a nine day celebration starting on December 16 through the 24, ending on Christmas Day. Las Posadas are celebrated  in Mexico, Latin America, Guatemala, Cuba, and by Latinx people in the United States.

Traditionally, this celebration consists of the reenactment of Joseph and Mary’s journey by a man and a woman dressed in garments much like Mary and Joseph would have worn. Mary is usually riding a donkey, followed by a multitude of people singing (who are called peregrinos, or pilgrims). The reenactment consists of a back and forth carole between the peregrinos who are with Mary and Joseph asking for refuge and the people in the homes. It usually consists of two homes denying refugee to Joseph and Mary, and then the third allowing them refuge, usually the designated home or place where the celebration is being held at.

Like any celebration, food is a major part of Las Posadas, which differs depending on where it is being celebrated in. In my family, who originate from Mexico, it is common to have Tamales, buñelos, ponche navideño, champurrado, and pan dulce, to name a few. It is mostly always followed by the breaking of a piñata and the gifting of goodie bags for children known as aguinaldos.

It is a celebration that I would never have imagined would be celebrated in college. The Latino Student Forum Club at the University of La Verne held their 22nd annual celebration of Las Posadas on November 30th. The event was open to the community, and more than 300 community members came to celebrate with carols, traditional food, and music. More than 100 presents were gifted out to children of ages 0 to 12. It was a very successful event that embodied Latinx tradition and the spirit of the Holidays.

Carina Baca

La Verne '22

my bio