La Verne Quadruple Threat: Terry Dopson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.
Few people have the ability to stand on a stage and sing in front of peers and audience members, but not only can this student sing, he can dance, act and perform- Let’s call him a “quadruple threat.” Terry Dopson amazes us every time he takes the stage, and a voice like does not go without recognition. So read all about his experiences performing and what his life is like off the stage, and then you can check out his blog: www.dopsonterry.wordpress.com to continue being inspired to follow your dreams!

Year: Junior

Major: Music 

What do you love about La Verne? I really like how at the University of La Verne one does not have to “pay their dues”. Although it is my first year at La Verne I was able to get an amazing job on campus along with having the opportunity to be featured in several concerts and recitals. I know that many students regardless of whether it is their first year or last year, get the opportunity to be recognized for the work they are passionate about. It is humbling how each individual student is provided the tools and the support to positively contribute to the campus community. 

Involvement: I am a Student Ambassador for the Office of Undergraduate Admission. I am also a Performance Scholarship recipient for Music so I pretty much spend most of my time on campus in rehearsals and performances.

What made you interested in singing? Growing up I was never passionate about anything until I did my first musical Alice in Wonderland at the Curtis Theater in Brea, CA when I was 11 years old. In that moment the light bulb went off in my head that singing, acting, dancing, and performing was what I was meant to do. In junior high, high school, and community college I sang in choirs and performed in theatrical productions in school and in the community. Nothing else on earth brings me the same sense of joy when I am on stage. When I am on stage I am the best version of myself.  
What is your favorite song to perform? My current favorite song to perform is called “Avant des quitter ces lieux” it is from the opera Faust by Charles Gounod. I have performed it on campus this semester. My amazing voice teacher at La Verne, Jonathan Mack, assigned me the song for my lessons and I love how powerful the song is. It is really satisfying to perform.  
Photo Courtesy of Alisha Rembert of TheFilmAli

Plays I have acted in: I just recently appeared in my 30th full length musical production which was Legally Blonde: The Musical with the Yorba Linda Spotlight Theater Company. I played the role of Professor Callahan. The production actually performed at the Curtis Theater where I got my start so I thought that was a really awesome full circle moment. Other favorite shows/roles of mine include Albert Peterson in Bye Bye Birdie, Antipholus of Syracuse from The Boys From Syracuse, Trevor Graydon in Thoroughly Modern Millie, Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast, Jafar in Aladdin, and Scuttle inThe Little Mermaid. 
What is your favorite role you have played? Of all of those roles I would have to say Professor Callahan in Legally Blonde  was my favorite. I really enjoy playing villains because they get to command the action on stage. Callahan has great songs in the show and there are a lot of layers to the character that I enjoyed tapping into.

What do you do in your free time? My favorite outing is dinner and a show with friends and/or family. I also maintain my own blog/website which is www.dopsonterry.wordpress.com. Funny that you ask this question. A big goal of mine for the summer is to find new hobbies outside of singing and performing. I love singing and performing more than anything but it is a pursuit that will “scoop the life out of you” (Words of actor, Daniel Day Lewis). So I am trying to find other things to occupy my time so that way I can “refill”. Also I believe that the more enriched your life is off the stage the better of a performer you will be on the stage. 

Brooke is an aspiring journalist attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. She has a knack for all things adventurous and food related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or the Campus Times you can find her taking pictures of her award-winning cat or eating various types of cheese.