This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Hello, My Twenties is the show that I never knew I needed. I had seen it on my Netflix queue but never paid much attention to it. One day while eating lunch, I decided to start a new series because I hadn’t watched a Korean drama since high school. I was scrolling for a bit then saw the title “Hello, My Twenties,” and by the photo, it didn’t seem like my kind of show. I read the synopsis and still was iffy about whether or not I should start it, but for some reason, I still ended up clicking play. I didn’t have high hopes for it, but it so far has been one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. And trust me when I say the intro song is probably the cutest/best intro song I have ever heard. The story revolves around five college students of different ages and backgrounds who end up living together in Belle Epoque and shows their hardships in life in a sad, but sometimes in a funny way as well. ​

All five girls have different personalities and offer something different to the house and its nice to see them get along, but also fight and how they overcome it. I think what I enjoy the most about the show is how all the characters have something that makes them relatable and real. I don’t want to spill too much about what the show is about, so I will try to go into only small detail about each of the characters without ruining the story.

Yoo Eun-Jae  

The story first starts with Yoo Eun-Jae moving into Belle Epoque and starting her first year of college. She is a shy 20-year-old girl with a troubling past. In future episodes, you learn a lot about this character and are completely shaken to the core by it. Her main focus of the story is her experiencing her first love. You see her struggle with talking to boys and being able to go out of her comfort zone so she can be confident with her dating life.  

Yoon Jin-Myung

Yoon Jin-Myung is the oldest out of all the other girls. She is 28 years old and is still attending college. She has had to take many breaks in between semesters because she can not afford to pay for college unless she is working. She is the only one of the five girls who work. Currently, she has three part-time jobs but still struggles financially. Her storyline is about how much she needs to work in order to continue her education. Her storyline made me cry the most because of the many things she goes through, but still, she is a badass character and probably in my top 3 favorites because of how real, raw, and emotional her character is throughout the show. Also, she loves beer.

Song Ji-won

Song Ji-won wasn’t shown until the end of the first episode. She is the mood maker of the group and is the funniest character on this show. She struggles with finding a boyfriend and goes on blind dates very frequently. She hates that she can never get a boy to go on a second date with her, but still she stays confident within herself and knows she’s the perfect catch. She tries her best to keep the girls in the Belle Epoque as entertaining as can be, especially with her crazy ideas and personality. 

Kang Yi-na

Probably my favorite character throughout the series so far. Kang Yi-Na is 24 years old and succeeds in dating. She is stunning with a strong personality. She has three boyfriends but doesn’t care what anyone has to say about it because it’s her own life. She is super stylish and loves showing off her body in front of the other girls and will walk around the house naked. She has the most character development throughout the series and is relatable in weird ways. 

Jung Ye-Eun

I saved Jung Ye-Eun for last because out of all the girls, she reminds me of myself the most. She is a super fun and energetic girl but can be very feisty at times. Ye-Eun cares about her appearance the most and tries to make sure she always looks cute. She has relationship trouble throughout the series, and I felt her struggle and pain throughout the way. She is a brilliant girl who wants to be happy. Sometimes her jealousy did get in the way of seeing the truth or doing what’s right, but in the end, she always came around. 

These are just some short bios about the girls, but the depth that their stories go into is fantastic. I have never been so attached to a show before (besides Gossip Girl) and it is nice being able to watch the episodes and never know what is coming while being refreshed with new plots and troubles throughout the girls’ lives. I totally recommend this show 100% because it has been such an emotional rollercoaster ride and I want to share it with all of you.

Until next time fans,

xoxo

John Ceja

John Ceja

La Verne '20

Just a boy who is in love with the world.