HC La Verne teams with Shades of Essence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Campus Correspondent, Kellie Galentine, co-presenting about the portrayal of women in the media

Her Campus La Verne teamed up with Shades of Essence on Tuesday March 11 to host a discussion on the portrayal of women in the media. The discussion, led by Shades of Essence President Breana White and HC La Verne Campus Correspondent Kellie Galentine, fostered a discussion about the struggle women face while choosing healthy media to watch and listen to.

Breana began the conversation by passing out lyrics of different songs by artists like Beyonce, and the group talked about the effect that inappropriate lyrics can have on the image of women in the media. Kellie picked up in the middle and showed the video How the Media Failed Women in 2013, which geared the conversation toward what it means to be a woman in the United States today.

The event was considered to be a great success in that it allowed for a great conversation to be had about women, by women and promoted the struggles that many of us commonly face, but are not always able to speak up about. 

A big thank you to Shades of Essence, the awesome on campus women’s empowerment club, who co-hosted this awesome event with us! For additional information on Shades of Essence, contact their president Breana White at breana.white@laverne.edu.

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.