Getting a Cat in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

I am obsessed with cats. I always have been, and I always will be. But of course, like any animal, having a cat is a responsibility. With jobs, school and other involvements to worry about, family told me that I wouldn’t have time, and a cat would be an unnecessary burden.  But did I listen? No. Am I glad I didn’t? YES.

On April 4, I adopted the cutest baby kitten from the Rancho Cucamonga Animal Shelter and named her Sansa. Here are the top reasons I have no regrets about adopting my favorite feline friend.

1. Constant Smiles

School is incredibly stressful. But something that immediately puts a smile on my face, right when I walk in the door is my cat. Its easy to forget about whatever irritation is lingering from the day, when a cute kitty is running toward you as you open the door.

When I’m doing a difficult assignment, I can just look over at Sansa (who is probably sitting next to me on the couch) and take a little break to pet her, easing my stress for a few minutes.

No matter how hard the day is, I can count on Sansa to cheer me up.

1. Sense of responsibility I know, we all have our daily responsibilities of college and work. But sometimes it is nice  to have something other than yourself to take care of. So instead of having baby fever (no kids, please) get a cat! I love stopping by the cat aisle when I’m doing groceries and getting some cat toys for her. Even though scooping the cat box isn’t very fun, when I look at her cute little face it is worth it.

1. Never alone

Sometimes I am afraid of being home alone. Ok, I’m afraid all the time. All of my roommates have meetings that run until midnight so instead of being alone, I have Sansa. I know she won’t fight off murderers or burglars, but she makes me feel a little safer and gives me someone to talk to. I’m pretty sure she understands me too.

How do you not just smile when you see that furry face? Getting a cat in college has been an amazing experience and I recommend it to anyone looking for a kitty companion.

Brooke is an aspiring journalist attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. She has a knack for all things adventurous and food related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or the Campus Times you can find her taking pictures of her award-winning cat or eating various types of cheese.