Foodie Fridays: Sanctuary Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Since its grand opening this year in May, Sanctuary Coffee in Claremont has sold 1,300 pounds of coffee and donated 13,000 pounds of food to homeless shelters in San Bernardino County.

That is C R A Z Y. How many shops do you know do that?

Sanctuary truly is one of a kind. Not only do they donate all that food to the homeless, they are also completely non-profit. All the extra money they make from their sales go to three main charities: Every ONE Free (dedicated to ending human trafficking), Ability First (helping disabled children and adults), and Inland Valley Hope (serving the homeless). And as a bonus, their tip jars are donated to a new community project every month!

I was amazed by all the community work they’re doing. Although they are a faith-based organization, they emphasize having a completely safe space for everyone. They love connecting with their customers and creating lasting conversations with them.

I personally felt the homely aura when walking into the shop. I entered from the back door, and I was immediately greeted with a large space with couches, tables, and lots of paintings along the walls. It felt like stepping into an art gallery, minus the intimidating feeling due to the furniture.

The small flight of stairs (!!! they definitely know how to expand their space) led to the main coffeeshop area. There was a huge couch in the middle, with tables on one side and the entrance at the other. The kitchen took up all of the left side of the area, rich coffee aroma emanating from the machines.

I stumbled upon this place when I was sent on assignment to report on it for ULV’s Campus Times newspaper. I met up with the executive director of Sanctuary, Steve Gerali, and he told me all about Sanctuary’s mission and community work. I was really inspired by his vision, and all the hard work he and his colleagues did to put this operation together. I even interviewed the baristas, who were super friendly and caring towards their customers.

My friend Liz came with me, and she told me how helpful the barista was when it came to helping her choose a drink. She even explained the flavors and the sweetness of the drinks, showcasing her knowledge and care about her job.

I was offered a free drink, courtesy of Steve, who recommended I try their most popular drink: the Turtle Latte. I’m not much of a coffee person, but it was delicious.

I truly recommend everyone in the area to stop by and stay awhile. It’s the perfect place to relax, get some work done, and enjoy a cup of delicious coffee while helping out the community.

Much like the Disney character, I don't let society define who I am & I always do what I think is right. Communications/Public Relations major, Class of 2019 at the University of La Verne. I aspire to learn from the best to better serve the world we live in by creating clear messages for the public.
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com