andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

You know that feeling you always felt when you were younger, but you could never explain it with a tangible word or phrase? When you wanted to be in the mix 24/7 and when you weren’t, you were afraid of what people were doing without you? 

Yeah, we’ve all been there, and today it is commonly known as FOMO (fear of missing out).

FOMO is at it’s worse when ULV students decide to study abroad! Here are just a few reasons why FOMO seems to occupy a students mind before they get on the plane to their new destination.

1. Roommates and food

Rooming with your best friends is one of the best things about college life! When you decide to leave your friends for a semester/ year abroad, you can’t help but fear you’ll miss out on all those lunch, dinner, and froyo dates!? You look at Instagram and Snapchat 24/7 and sure enough your friends are out there eating without you!

1. Family

You may have already experienced FOMO with your family if ULV is far from home. But those students who can go home during the semester can also fear what their families will do without them! What if they decide to take that trip to Vegas when I’m gone?? *stalks families Facebook*

1. Day trips with your friends

You can’t help but think what else your friends will be doing while you’re away! Beach trips? Sporting events? DISNEYLAND?? While you are waiting for your semester/year abroad to start, you can’t help but feel left out while your friends instagrams and snapchats look like the absolute best times EVER. 

FOMO is the real deal. But rest assured that once you’re on that plane, experiencing a new and exciting life for a semester, FOMO will be a distant anxious-filled fear! ( especially if we don’t look at snapchat and instagram)

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.