Finding the Right Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

As Halloween approaches, college students and young adults are struggling to find a costume for the occasion. Sadly, but surely adults are spending their time and gossiping amongst friends about what they are going to dress as for the season. With Halloween being my favorite season, I understand the dilemma. Imagine being a struggling college student looking for a costume consisting of individuality, inexpensive and stylish. Not also counting there are over five Halloween parties within one week, therefor I need five separate costumes. The Halloween madness is real and I’m here to give you tips to finding the perfect Halloween costume from every occasion. 

1.  What’s your style? 

Are you going for edgy, cute, funny or basic? No matter what it is, make sure you focus on that question first. Determining what you want to portray for the occasion will make your life easier and shopping time shorter. Having a basic idea of what you want to be can also determine what is the best place to shop or even how much you want to spend. Halloween is the season where you can play with your everyday style and give it a 360 turn. For example, if you are the shy girl try playing up the risk factor or be something incredibly goofy or affordable. 

2. Be Aware of the Basicness!!

As long as you are aware that every single female this year is going to be: Harley Quinn, a cat, bunny, mouse, athlete, superhero, you are perfectly okay to go this route. However, do not be surprised by the amount of girls dressed exactly like you at the party. 

3. Check your closet first. 

You always have way more clothes than you think. Out of sake for spending $40 on costume, check your closet to see what you already have. You would be surprise about how an everyday clothing item can be something used for a cute costume. Two words, RISKY BUSINESS. Everyone has a long white sleeved shirt in their closet and long white socks in their drawer to recreate this iconic look. Try also noticing what old costumes you had in high school that you can still fit and where with only your previous friends noticing. 

4. Attempt the DIY if necessary. 

I’m a crafty, but lazy person. So if I have to do a DIY costume, it will have to be ahead of time. For those quick and creative, always attempt to do your DIY magic when necessary. You will be surprised how creative and original your costume would be. To find DIY costumes check Pinterest, Her Campus and other Halloween websites. 

5. Go Shopping with Your Friends

Going pre-Halloween shopping with your friends, will always be one of your funniest college memories. From trying on weird costumes, wigs and even scary masks to scare your friends. Your closest friends are also your best budgeters. They will tell you if a costume is worth paying $20, versus what is the best option. They also are there to inspire cute group costumes like the Powderpuff Girls, the Wizard of Oz or more. 

Autumn Simon is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is an aspiring publicist. She is a movie junkie and is interested in all things Disney. While she isn't in class she is multicultural chair on the Campus Activity Board, publicist of Shades of Essence, a part time Cast Member at Disneyland, a writer for La Vouge and a writer for the campus' magazine and newspaper.