Eliminating Elevator Awkwardness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Elevator music.

Can you hear it?

The classic form of awkward (almost) silence.

I cannot remember the last time I stepped into a music-playing elevator, but what replaces it today is the awkward (definite) silence.

What is it about small spaces and other people that make us just want to avoid all human interaction? Probably everything.

“What floor?” I ask a guy entering the Vista elevator. “Threeee,” he stretches painstakingly to push the button for himself.

In the harried pace of our busy schedules, the time we spend in an elevator is a means to an end, the way to get from point A to point B, and if this “keep door closed” button doesn’t work, then why is it there?

We are comfortable with our thumbs poised to continue scrolling on our phones, faces safely out of range from contact. It is easy to think that our time around strangers in the elevator does not count. But our small decisions and interactions end up pointing to our bigger decisions and interactions.

I met my best friend in an elevator. That’s totally false, but what if I did?

The truth is most people out there, especially in our small school, are friendlier than we think to give them credit for.

To keep elevator awkwardness at bay, here are five compact conversation tips that are elevator-safe:

1. Relax

Tensing up to avoid contact but still making quick glances makes things even more awkward for you and another person. Use your elevator commute as a small opportunity to practice patience. Being friendly will come much more easily if you take a breath.

2. Be genuine

It is okay to be a dork. All anyone wants is to feel human and like we are not alone. Everyone is experiencing the too real struggle to wake up and get to class. A simple hello with nothing further is perfectly polite.

3. Notice

You should not have to feel creepy if you notice that someone is dressed for success or is really excited about that box of carne asada fries. “Those are some really awesome shoes,” works just fine. “Carne asada fries?” followed by an affirming, “nice,” works just as well.

4. What day is it?

Is it an unsung holiday? Is it almost time for break? Is it Friday? Wish your fellow Leopards a Happy Friday, or a happy any day. When I wished a Happy Halloween to two guys one morning, each seemed to wake up and had actually forgotten it was Halloween!

5. And always remember…

We are all in school for one reason or another, but we are all dreaming of achieving something greater one day. While we are here, it may be easy to think it is not our time to exercise generosity and warmth, but it is never too early to start making the world a better place.

Even in the humble space of an elevator. 

Melanie Loon is an aspiring writer and all-around creative studying Mulitimedia Communications at the University of La Verne. A born and raised "Valley Girl," she loves Jesus, family, food, and all things Anthropologie. She can be found on Instagram @melaniespoon.